What's Longest Word You've Come Across In Any Language?

Jennifer

Reaction score
I didn't know it existed until now. But This is a German word, that blew my mind. I'm not just throwing letters together, it's an actual word.

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

It means "Danube steam shipping electricity main plant construction subordinate company".

The longest name of anything I've come across is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula". Or as we know it today, Los Angeles/LA.

In English it means "The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of Porciúncula.”

Reactions: Benway and Paintman
I think it was a German word in a machine operations manual. I can't remember it. Where I was working bought it and didn't know how to use it so basically employed me to figure it out and run it. Unfortunately parts of it were broken and all the manuals were in German, but I did get it working and produced good parts using it.
Something like "Spindle torque display" -Spindeldrehmomentanzeige.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
I remember a $12 word in German for a specific psychiatric condition. It's not just good enough for this guy to just name it. He threw the whole definition in the name.

You mean besides Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ?

I typed that from memory . . . NOT
That's simple! I learned how to say it as a really little kid. (My mum's old friend worked for Disney and I had Mary Poppins badges with it written on in every colour.. and every Disney promo pack! I was stupidly lucky. I took supercalifragilisticexpialidocious as a challenge. Though I do still have to check the spelling. And that character from Superman. Mr Mxyzptlk. I did get the spelling of that pretty fast and that nobody knew how to say it at all!*) German wins. They just staple bits together into single really long words. I can't beat the opening example but I was taught as a kid by our Austrian lodger how to call somebody 'thebreathofathousandrabidcamels'. Sadly I don't know how now, but it was impressive.

*M(i)x-y(e)zp(i)tt(e)l)ik - You don't fully pronounce the bracketed bits, but they tell you how to spit out the consonants

Last edited: