What's in a name?

Originally, I was going to be named John Sebastian before they decided on another biblical name, which I prefer over my middle name. It’s pronounced the same, but spelled a little differently. But if my mom has her way, I’d stuck with JS if my dad didn’t tell her, ‘You’re not going to name my son John Sebastian!’

Originally, I was going to be named John Sebastian before they decided on another biblical name, which I prefer over my middle name. It’s pronounced the same, but spelled a little differently. But if my mom has her way, I’d stuck with JS if my dad didn’t tell her, ‘You’re not going to name my son John Sebastian!’
My daughter and SIL had similar differences. My daughter said the names he wanted sounded like strippers, he said her preferences were either too girly and/or old fashioned. They eventually agreed on a first name, and I wound up providing the middle name. If the thread lasts long enough and there is any interest, I explain the humorous circumstances that led to that middle name.

My daughter and SIL had similar differences. My daughter said the names he wanted sounded like strippers, he said her preferences were either too girly and/or old fashioned. They eventually agreed on a first name, and I wound up providing the middle name. If the thread lasts long enough and there is any interest, I explain the humorous circumstances that led to that middle name.
Probably depending on who you ask, the combo of my first and middle names don’t match, but they do however have a strong Southern vibe. But if they had just gone with John, I’d be one of the many in my family that had that name. I believe my late grandfather and his own brother shared that name as did my cousin. If I had my way, I’d keep my first name and drop my middle and last names over something more favorable. I never did care for it much.

Reactions: Duke
Oh please do!

I hate my first name, probably because I was only called it when mum was mad at me, shortened when I was good, lol.
Oh yeah! Ben usually, but then there was that exasperated / shocked / angry 'Benjamin'!
I'm fine with either, but prefer Ben. I chose it myself when I was four, because there were two Benjamins in the same class and the teacher asked one of us to be Ben, our choice. We talked and I chose Ben.

Oh yeah! Ben usually, but then there was that exasperated / shocked / angry 'Benjamin'!
I'm fine with either, but prefer Ben. I chose it myself when I was four, because there were two Benjamins in the same class and the teacher asked one of us to be Ben, our choice. We talked and I chose Ben.
Benjamin is one of my fav names it was our choice if we would have had a boy.

Reactions: ozentity and Benway
Benjamin is one of my fav names it was our choice if we would have had a boy.
I do like it. Given when I was born, I was nearly Valentine. Benjamin means first born/ favoured son though, so that was another option and the one they picked. I agree with their choice. I did eventually have an Italian friend who shared my birthday and he actually was called Valentine. And of course every boy or man I ever knew who was born in December was called Chris. I was friends with a girl throughout my childhood who was born on April 1st. For some reason her parents didn't call her Fool.