What's in a name?

Weird. I was just about to correct my post to say that my December born cousin is called Nicolas (another seasonal name) instead of Chris like everyone else and you posted that! He was quite good at sarcasm.
Sorry, I was vague. I meant the actor Nicolas Cage.

I hate my first name, probably because I was only called it when mum was mad at me, shortened when I was good, lol.
I was addressed by my full name when mine was mad at me. And I don’t think I even know what I did half of the time. But it was an ‘Oh boy, I’m about to get it’ moment.

I was always going to be John Jay. But when I came out, it was pretty obvious that I was a dead ringer for my Dad. So I was given his name and a junior. And on the upside it was very obvious that Mama wasn't playing around with the milkman.

I was always going to be John Jay. But when I came out, it was pretty obvious that I was a dead ringer for my Dad. So I was given his name and a junior. And on the upside it was very obvious that Mama wasn't playing around with the milkman.
That’s always a good assurance lol.

Reactions: Paintman
My daughter and SIL had similar differences. My daughter said the names he wanted sounded like strippers, he said her preferences were either too girly and/or old fashioned. They eventually agreed on a first name, and I wound up providing the middle name. If the thread lasts long enough and there is any interest, I explain the humorous circumstances that led to that middle name.
Two months before my granddaughter was due to be born, my football buddy and I drove to Iowa State University for a game. When we ordered our tickets, the only "seats" available were those on a couple grassy areas in opposite corners of the stadium. Rules were you could bring a blanket to sit on, but no folding chairs were permitted.

It was a beautiful late summer evening as we spread out our blanket and waited for the game to start. The grassy areas filled up quickly, mostly with students and young families. About ten minutes before kickoff, someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked in a husky voice, "Is it OK if we sit on your blanket?"

I looked up to see two very large young women ("corn fed" I was later told was the polite way to say this in Iowa) looming over us. After they sat down, we all introduced ourselves. Turns out they were freshman at ISU and this was their first football game. By coincidence, one of them had the same first name as that already chosen for my granddaughter. I explained the impasse my daughter and SIL had regarding her middle name, and asked if she'd share her full name with me. This she did, including a very German sounding surname. The rest of the evening was very pleasant, and our new friends were very gracious and outgoing. We got hugs from the young women as we all got up to leave.

The following week Mrs Duke and I had dinner with our daughter and SIL, and I told them the story. They looked at each other, and agreed the girl's middle name was one they could both live with. So on the spot, my granddaughter's middle name was chosen...with one proviso. My daughter said when my granddaughter got old enough to ask how she got her name, it was up to Grandpa to explain how she'd been named, at least in part, for a fat German girl from Iowa.

Two months before my granddaughter was due to be born, my football buddy and I drove to Iowa State University for a game. When we ordered our tickets, the only "seats" available were those on a couple grassy areas in opposite corners of the stadium. Rules were you could bring a blanket to sit on, but no folding chairs were permitted.

It was a beautiful late summer evening as we spread out our blanket and waited for the game to start. The grassy areas filled up quickly, mostly with students and young families. About ten minutes before kickoff, someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked in a husky voice, "Is it OK if we sit on your blanket?"

I looked up to see two very large young women ("corn fed" I was later told was the polite way to say this in Iowa) looming over us. After they sat down, we all introduced ourselves. Turns out they were freshman at ISU and this was their first football game. By coincidence, one of them had the same first name as that already chosen for my granddaughter. I explained the impasse my daughter and SIL had regarding her middle name, and asked if she'd share her full name with me. This she did, including a very German sounding surname. The rest of the evening was very pleasant, and our new friends were very gracious and outgoing. We got hugs from the young women as we all got up to leave.

The following week Mrs Duke and I had dinner with our daughter and SIL, and I told them the story. They looked at each other, and agreed the girl's middle name was one they could both live with. So on the spot, my granddaughter's middle name was chosen...with one proviso. My daughter said when my granddaughter got old enough to ask how she got her name, it was up to Grandpa to explain how she'd been named, at least in part, for a fat German girl from Iowa.
I love this !!! Great story Duke

I have two nicknames and while I'm fine with one, I can't stand the other. But it's the stage name of a well known musical artist that's been in the game since the early 60's. No disrespect to him, of course but it isn't my thing. It's his.

Reactions: garnetsilver