What's in a name?

Rowan2222

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
I've been wanting to set up a charity for at least the last 5 years. But I just can't settle on a name for it.
Can you help?
The main aim of the charity is to give people a bit of time and space to work though their problems - and help them with this where possible.

It started with me wanting to own a campsite. I can manage that, but I wanted it to be more than that.
I wanted it to provide cheap accommodation (tents and cabins in winter) for people to come if they are suicidal or in abusive relationships or just are so angry that they need to get out of their house or they are going to break something.
Somewhere to just hit reset and take time out and think about things without the pressure of work or family.

I've sort of got the campsite worked out. It can advertise as a standard campsite for paying guests, but as it is charity owned I am just the keeper- I don't have to fund buying it. The charity owns it and just pays me to run it, therefore the loan is at charity rates.
I can organise links with MIND and other UK charities that will feed people into it. Basically anyone that needs a break can apply and I will pay for a train ticket and transport to and from the site.
While there I can link in with council councillors to try and help these people, but while there they can have free food, free accommodation and just enjoy the countryside. There will also be a working high-tech farm on the site, and they will be encouraged to have a go at producing food - which feeds the people there. This not only reduces overheads, but psychologically gives them purpose and distraction from their problems to increase a feeling of well-being.
They will also get an interview to assess what their problems are, and what their skills are. If their skills can be utilised they will be asked to give a 30 minute presentation to teach what they know to the next generation. This can be anything from cooking to Egyptian history! The main thing is to give them purpose - and that they are useful. Anyone can attend these sessions in the main tent.

Mountain bikes will be available to use free, as will facilities for bird watching, night telescopes or other outdoor activities.

The site itself will be self funding, partly due to regular booking as a campsite, but also because we operate as an intesnsive aquaponic farm - which may be a tourist attraction in it's own rite. People can give time tending the farm in return for free camping - so if you want an extra day free , you can plant out some lettuces!
Most of the produce will be sold locally to local restaurants, but is basically free labour.

We will also make pizza on site. Everyone loves pizza right? It is an easy thing to make yourself- and is very cheap eats. This can be expanded to a delivery service to supply the local area but is mainly "a thing" about the site in general. This should ensure repeat customers and a reason for people to return.

The only way I can achieve this is via charity money to buy the site. I can run it, but the charity needs to supply a site for it and fund transport of people to and from it.

At first this may only be 5 families a year referred from another charity. To begin with I can fund the gaps and organise events & transport to get the 5 to an established campsite, and pave the way. Once these 5 are successful I can use photo's as publicity to spin up the cash for more.

My main problem at the moment is finding an original name. Things like Headspace and Reset are taken, so It is becoming a stumbling block. Once I can register a name I can submit a business plan and get the ball rolling.
It may amount to nothing. I am constrained at the moment by the condition of my wife for which I am a carer, but it could become something to help a lot of people.
Can you help suggest a name that is not in use yet?

I would kinda stay away from the " head" type names, or any name that could be stressing a condition or failing of sorts...ppl who may need help or guidance or who have failed in life don't need to have it thrown in their face every time they see the sign or letterhead, to speak...plus if also used as a family campground or normal everyday purposes, that type name could be off putting to the general public.....think of a name that is more relaxing or zenful but not conditional or rehabilitative.... ( hey, I may have just made up a word..lol...but you get the gist, right??? )......sounds like a good plan but could be a challenge and will take serious dedication, this is a very serious subject and field that would take the utmost in professionalism.

It sounds a good idea as long as you are capable of dealing with people with possible severe mental conditions as I'd imagine some at least would fall into this category,which could destroy the whole project.I think you would need a team of health care workers in case something went wrong.The insurance for a place like this would be sky high.

Yeah I don't like the word 'head' in the title either. So off the top of my head this is what I've come up with :
Like Paul mentioned some variation of the word tranquility. Or get out the thesaurus and find variations of words like peace, tranquility,......, or possibly the French or Latin words for like that.

Or what about using the physical features of the land that you have in mind. That's pretty much how all of the golf courses I play are named.
Sandy Pines. Oak Knoll. Pheasant Valley. Turkey Creek. Lost Marsh.

Oz has a good idea that you might want to have access to mental health professionals. But I would not necessarily advertise that. As you can open yourself up to lots of liability and your insurance will reflect that. Besides you need the paying customers to keep that train a rolling.

Wonderful idea Rowan and I truly wish you all the best with this endeavor.:)

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
Serenity Farm

Sounds a little bit too tranquil - like a euthanasia clinic.

Maybe one based on the area would be better for the actual site name to keep it more open to the general public. I like that.

I hadn't thought about the increase in the insurance issues. For the site I would like to keep it just at public liability level, but this may be mitigated a bit if a wavier is signed as part of the site terms and conditions. Obviously we would cover serious neglect of our own duties, but if a person deliberately sought to injure themselves like climbing trees then there is not much we can do.
Keeping the site and charity separate would be worthwhile form an insurance point of view. Costs would be borne by the charity for any people sent there, and would be treated as a venue.

The charity name will likely hit like a thunderbolt and just be "right". It may just be a case of putting meaningful words in a hat and pulling them out. Thing like "space, time, escape, light, horizons, sky, fresh, field, care, thoughts, hope", or may be better to go abstract but may get lost in nonsense and need explaining.

"Blue Field " is available.

This seems like a similar group with similar aims - Green Light Trust but a slightly different direction and business model.

A noble undertaking for sure. I tried to think of names. I came up with two. New beginning pathways or trails to a fresh start? just a couple musings.

Reactions: Paulm