What's in a name?

qwynie Rose

Reaction score
My birth name in Germanic means horse-snake or horse-serpent. A male cousins name meant beloved in Hebrew. When I was younger I had a Japanese penfriend who told me my name would class as masculine and my cousin as feminine in her culture. Hmmm.

Anyhow, strangely my two favorite animals are horses and snakes and I was a total tomboy growing up. When a vicars daughter tried to introduce me to wearing a bra, I was having none of it until I decided it would make a great sling shot.

So do you think a birth name shapes/influences you in any way? Just a late night thought.

I think it can influence how we view ourselves. And how we view ourselves can and does shape our reality.

My grandfather was named Peter. He always felt it was a cursed name. I finally asked him why. Turns out, before he was born his parents had their first male child and named him Peter. The child died in a terrible accident. About two years later, my grandfather was born and they named him Peter after his brother. My grandfather had major health problems as a child and ended up an amputee from a very rare disease. Later, he lost part of the other leg to the same disease. In his mind, his name had preordained this. Although he was a very gentle, kind and most loving soul, in his heart he felt cursed by this.

My husband has a name that can be both male or female, but as a child back in the day he was about the only kid around with it as a male. It was actually the last name of his mother's family so he always tried to explain it was a "family" name. This did have some impact on him as a kid. To this day, if I go into a new doc with him, they look at me first as if I'm supposed to be the patient because they see the name and assume female.

So, you can see how it might have an impact on people's view of self.

I had a very troubled childhood, and so have always wanted to disassociate myself from my given name. When I met Jim, I was going by a name that I preferred in social situations, but told him my real name. I feel so much more light hearted and easy going with my preferred name,and plan to change it legally someday.

I had a very troubled childhood, and so have always wanted to disassociate myself from my given name. When I met Jim, I was going by a name that I preferred in social situations, but told him my real name. I feel so much more light hearted and easy going with my preferred name,and plan to change it legally someday.

I know exactly what you mean as I did, many years ago, change my name for the same reasons. The last few months I have gone back to the short version of my given name (Rose) which was what my mother always called me. But I do take an absolute hissy fit if anyone who knows my old FULL name uses it for any reason, can't stand it.

I'm glad you're happier with your preferred name and hope you can manage to legally change it soon.

Last edited:
So do you think a birth name shapes/influences you in any way
It may as I've known people with the same name to have similar traits.I won't say names or their traits in case of offending.I feel the parents may be influenced in some paranormal way as the name of the child often matches the personality.Just something I've observed.

Last edited:
It may as I've known people with the same name to have similar traits.I won't say names or their traits in case of offending.I feel the parents may be influenced in some paranormal way as the name of the chid often matches the personality.Just something I've observed.
I agree - I can think of a few people I have met in life who had the same names and personality quirks.