What would you...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
10552502_1012149002144527_6264952380908741430_n.jpg

I’d like to learn more about different cultures and maybe the languages of some remote communities.
It's an amazing experience that. It's one thing to visit the popular places one would see on National Geographic or the Travel Channel, but to go to the smaller "behind-the-scenes" places is an invaluable experience. I remember when I went to Egypt as part of a school hockey tour, it was amazing to see the ancient sites like the pyramids and temples but immersing oneself in the culture itself there was incredible. The one night we had a lot of time to spare as there were no activities planned, so one of the teachers suggested trying out one of the donkey cart rides that take you around Cairo. So we had a choice, you could either go with some of the teachers on the cart rides or you could go to the McDonald's. Given most of the kids were cretins, most of them decided to go to place that we have back at home and me and 5 others decided to try the cart rides and OMG what an experience. They took us to two temples that weren't part of our tour package and then we went out of Cairo and into a farming village and really saw the true Egyptian community lifestyle. It was something the TV shows will never ever bother showing and such an experience was priceless. We came back feeling like we had gotten more than our money's worth the entire trip. The only experience the McDonald's crowd got was almost getting mugged by street kids :tearsofjoy:

It's an amazing experience that. It's one thing to visit the popular places one would see on National Geographic or the Travel Channel, but to go to the smaller "behind-the-scenes" places is an invaluable experience. I remember when I went to Egypt as part of a school hockey tour, it was amazing to see the ancient sites like the pyramids and temples but immersing oneself in the culture itself there was incredible. The one night we had a lot of time to spare as there were no activities planned, so one of the teachers suggested trying out one of the donkey cart rides that take you around Cairo. So we had a choice, you could either go with some of the teachers on the cart rides or you could go to the McDonald's. Given most of the kids were cretins, most of them decided to go to place that we have back at home and me and 5 others decided to try the cart rides and OMG what an experience. They took us to two temples that weren't part of our tour package and then we went out of Cairo and into a farming village and really saw the true Egyptian community lifestyle. It was something the TV shows will never ever bother showing and such an experience was priceless. We came back feeling like we had gotten more than our money's worth the entire trip. The only experience the McDonald's crowd got was almost getting mugged by street kids :tearsofjoy:
I agree totally with you Vibe! I have traveled a bit, and it always amazes me at the people that will go around the globe and then want to stay in a five-star hotel isolated from the culture they have gone so far to be in, then sit at the pool for a week and go shopping - all things they could probably do at home! I always try to get off the beaten path as you have described - to see how the "regular" people live, what their lives are like, etc. If more people would take the donkey tours in life and not go to McDonald's, maybe the world would be a little better??

I would love to know more about the undiscovered parts of the ocean. Are there really prehistoric sea creatures that still lurk in the deep that we aren't aware of given the rare sightings reported.
I've always been intrigued by the mysterious depths too, Vibe. Given that 70% of Earth is covered by water, you can imagine there still could be many undiscovered creatures under the seas. I like to think perhaps there are actually underwater communities like the ones shown in The Abyss, where there are creatures much more advanced than we are.

Im starting to learn Esperanto as we speak. Ironically a language that died as a lack of culture to the language.
That's really interesting. I know nothing about Esperanto. It has been around since 1887, that's a long time!