What we can learn...

Wasn't it Hawking who theorized an alien invasion wouldnt be a fight but rather a genetically enhanced virus to unleash on the planet....not quite the same but still an extraterrestrial twist kinda.....

Could a virus or germ even infect us if it hasn't been exposed to us previously to begin with?????..kinda like most germs don't jump species here until years and years of mutation???

Reactions: ozentity
Could a virus or germ even infect us if it hasn't been exposed to us previously to begin with?????..kinda like most germs don't jump species here until years and years of mutation???
That's a really good point I've never thought of,an alien virus probably would have no interest in affecting us,there would be no benefit for it,or are these viruses more evolved than us in their own way?

Wasn't it Hawking who theorized an alien invasion wouldnt be a fight but rather a genetically enhanced virus to unleash on the planet....not quite the same but still an extraterrestrial twist kinda.....
If Hawking's said it's possible, then I'm goin' with him.

And who says an alien virus wouldn't be able to mutate fast to it's environment? One of the things we tend to do is apply human "rules" to alien things. It may have a whole new set of it's own rules. :fearscream:

Reactions: jadamz
If Hawking's said it's possible, then I'm goin' with him.

And who says an alien virus wouldn't be able to mutate fast to it's environment? One of the things we tend to do is apply human "rules" to alien things. It may have a whole new set of it's own rules. :fearscream:

Good point.

Reactions: Debi
One of the things we tend to do is apply human "rules" to alien things. It may have a whole new set of it's own rules.

Interestingly, viruses seem to embody just that. They have their own set of rules when it comes to reproduction. I don't have enough of a background in biology to know if viruses are unique, but viruses don't replicate by duplicating themselves or through interaction with other viruses. They reproduce when the cells that they infect begin to multiply and that then produce new copies of the virus. So in an abstract sense, that is very alien reproductive behavior in comparison to more typical life forms.

Another thought is that as humans we pride ourselves on our intelligence as a species. Yet, here we have a life form that attacks us and consistently stays one step ahead of us in our ability to defeat it. While we have come up with vaccines and anti-viral agents against specific types of viruses, the best outcome we have ever achieved is to fight this life form to an inconclusive draw. For even the viruses for which we have vaccines and anti-viral agents will regroup and attack us anew should we ever let our guard down. But the greatest threat is that viruses as a whole keep rapidly evolving and adapting their characteristics to mount new and innovative attacks against which we are constantly struggling and scrambling to adapt.

In a manner of speaking, therefore, viruses have a very strong will to live. They can't ever be completely killed and are highly innovative in their ability to adapt in such a way as to guarantee their own propagation as a life form. Almost sounds intelligent, doesn't it?

I do remember when the moon rocks were brought back they were in a quarantine setting for a long time. And the astronauts were also quarantined for a bit. Perhaps some form of precautions would be a good thing to consider as we venture to Mars. (I've watched enough Sci-Fi movies I may be a bit paranoid about it! lol)

Reactions: ozentity
Let’s hope the lack of atmosphere there will prevent anything dangerous.