What was....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
324400979_841347183782323_7543669827059361655_n.jpg

As a child, when we celebrated something we rarely went out. We had a local place that offered up Italian beef, sausage, and a variety of Polish and German food that you could carry out, and when mom went there the party was ready to happen! That was good eating at a price that was right! Without leaving the house and TV...lol

As my kids were growing up, the BIG celebrations were at Red Lobster. My kids loved the place and would refer to it as the "Feast place!" They got unlimited refills on their drinks and that was back in the day when it was all you could eat shrimp. They would waddle back out to the car after wiping out as much as growing boys could eat. That was indeed fine dining back in that day.

Frisch's, the local "Big Boy" franchise in this part of Ohio. It was a couple steps up from the early McDonald's/Burger Chef fast food restaurants of the early/late 60s, and had significantly higher prices. Eating a Frisch's was a rare treat for a family with four kids, but it seemed like the height of fine dining to me.

And yes, there are still Frisch's restaurants in the area. I live within five miles of two of them.

I can't remember the name of the seafood place offhand, but we would go there on special occasions when visiting my grandmom in Philadelphia. I always got the Golden Fried Shrimp dinner. That was a rare treat when i was kid.

Reactions: RoseRed and Debi
Debi, we were the same about celebrations, they were mostly at home. When we went out as a family it was to the local Chinese or pizza place. Both establishments were family business and long gone.

Reactions: RoseRed