What was...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

What was the worst thing served in your school's cafeteria/dining hall?

What was the best?

Reactions: garnetsilver
The worst for me were the cold fish sticks. I think they were almost the taste of glue...lol With a side of spinach. Now I happen to like spinach, but school spinach must have gone through some unknown process to turn it to water with a few flakes of spinach afloat.

Now, the best was pizza day! I don't know where that pizza square came from, but we all loved pizza day!

We didn't get fed at school here but they used to give out little bottles of milk sat in the sun all morning ;vo. That was before they knew of lactose intolerance. If you didn't have it before you did after the free milk, lol.

The mystery meat gave me the creeps!!! The vegetables were huge mutant vegetables. Once I was out of elementary school I usually went to the gym and worked out and avoided the cafeteria like the plague. I am FAR from a picky eater but I like to be able to identify what I am eating. At the very least if it is animal, mineral, or vegetable!

I didn't like the jello (never have been a fan) but especially when they served green jello with hard little marshmallows in it for St. Patrick's day. I loved the grilled cheese sandwiches, and the Salisbury steaks with gravy and mashed potatoes. I also hated milk, and our principal went around urging us to "Drink your milk!" I think my hatred of milk was because it was pasteurized.

Reactions: ozentity
When I lived in a dorm in college, the dining hall served these things they called "shrimp shapes." They were made by mincing shrimp and that fake crab meat, mixing it with spices and corn meal, then pouring the mixture into baking tins with shrimp "shape" holes and baking them. They were prefabed, the dining hall staff just heated and served them. They were revolting, a gritty texture and a taste that was at best remotely seafoodish.

The best thing they had in the dining hall was a line that served cooked to order omelets at breakfast and deli sandwiches at lunch/dinner.

I remember my grade-school menu, nothing from jr. high or high school except that sheet pizza with the plastic cheese that some kids loved, some kids hated. I think I lived on 7-eleven burritos & cheeseburgers during high school. The food at college was much better, with a real burger joint right in the student union bldg if you didn't want the cafeteria fare, plus a ton of pizza parlors and such surrounding the campus.

So no complaints, really, from what I can still remember.

Reactions: Benway and ozentity
The mystery meat gave me the creeps!!! The vegetables were huge mutant vegetables. Once I was out of elementary school I usually went to the gym and worked out and avoided the cafeteria like the plague. I am FAR from a picky eater but I like to be able to identify what I am eating. At the very least if it is animal, mineral, or vegetable!
I agree. It was usually disguised with dark gravy.