What was your most favorite car you ever owned?

Engine stays within the frame (chassis) it means the engine is not removed , it is taken apart from above and below :) price varies from $10000 to $20000 depending on what needs to be done , after this the engine can run for another Million miles .....only if you take care of it !!
Wow! That's pricey, but it's an investment, and probably not that bad when you consider another million+ miles out of it. Makes a lot more sense than getting rid of an otherwise solid tractor.

Yes, I didn't realize just how much that torque plays into towing until I got this truck. I towed with a travel trailer before with my Expedition with just the gas engine. It really wasn't up to the task even for a lighter trailer. This truck has 400 HP and 800 pounds of torque. I can run 65-70 mph at only about 1500-1600 rpms, and can pass going uphill with the fifth wheel. I don't drive it that hard, but it's nice to know it can do it if I need to. I normally only run about 60-65 mph as I'm in no hurry to get wherever I'm going. It sure is nice to have the right equipment to do the towing job!
Yes...it's all about TORQUE !!! This is why you can pass others on hills . Running 65-70 mph in my truck at 1350 /1400 rpms , I have high geared rear ends which obviously reduces rpms on flat and moderate hilly roads , all in the name of fuel economy and on steeper grades then I use the gears and keep it at 1500 rpms (sweet spot) Last truck had 18 gears this one has 13 which I prefer . If I go to 800 hp then my Torque will increase to 2400 / 2600 ft lbs which means I will have to buy a hand built clutch to cope with the power .
If you had the gearing I have , no one would pass you .....LOL . You might want to look into a performance air filter for your truck , will not harm warranty and it will certainly let your engine breathe better on hills as you climb . Two most important gauges I have are turbo boost and pyrometer , this tells me everything about the engine .

to run 127mph max and yes I have had it up there !
First, I did NOT know you could get going that fast. Second, WHY go that fast???? Sheesh, Dog! Your ears would be flappin' in the breeze at that speed!!! :eek:;)

Reactions: Seahunter
Yes...it's all about TORQUE !!! This is why you can pass others on hills . Running 65-70 mph in my truck at 1350 /1400 rpms , I have high geared rear ends which obviously reduces rpms on flat and moderate hilly roads , all in the name of fuel economy and on steeper grades then I use the gears and keep it at 1500 rpms (sweet spot) Last truck had 18 gears this one has 13 which I prefer . If I go to 800 hp then my Torque will increase to 2400 / 2600 ft lbs which means I will have to buy a hand built clutch to cope with the power .
If you had the gearing I have , no one would pass you .....LOL . You might want to look into a performance air filter for your truck , will not harm warranty and it will certainly let your engine breathe better on hills as you climb . Two most important gauges I have are turbo boost and pyrometer , this tells me everything about the engine .
Wow, 2,400 to 2,600 on the torque - that will get the job done! Yeah, I have 3.73 gears which seems to be a good compromise - 4.10 or 4.30 weren't even available for an F-350 for my 2012 unless you got a chassis cab I think. Thanks for the air filter suggestion, I'll add that when I get the Power Service. Now your pyrometer - is that the overall temperature of the engine, or at a specific location like at the turbos?

First, I did NOT know you could get going that fast. Second, WHY go that fast???? Sheesh, Dog! Your ears would be flappin' in the breeze at that speed!!! :eek:;)
Running across the Desert from California to Arizona , it's 55mph limit for us . It was years ago and at night , I caught up with others who also owned their own rigs , 4 of us , and we all ran the same engine (Caterpillar) We did pass a Highway Patrol car at this speed and I don't know if he /she was shaking their head in disbelief , never came after us ! At this time Jail instead of fines would have occured , nowadays it's all about money ! The worst part was slowing down to 70mph speed limit in Arizona , felt as though I could walk faster !!!

Running across the Desert from California to Arizona , it's 55mph limit for us . It was years ago and at night , I caught up with others who also owned their own rigs , 4 of us , and we all ran the same engine (Caterpillar) We did pass a Highway Patrol car at this speed and I don't know if he /she was shaking their head in disbelief , never came after us ! At this time Jail instead of fines would have occured , nowadays it's all about money ! The worst part was slowing down to 70mph speed limit in Arizona , felt as though I could walk faster !!!
At least you run Caterpillar! :D Good choice....

I've driven the desert roads and yes, I can see how that might happen out there. Loooooonnnnngggg stretches of noooooothing. Hope you had your head in the window to keep the ear flapping down.....:)

Reactions: Speedbird
Now your pyrometer - is that the overall temperature of the engine, or at a specific location like at the turbos?

EGT's exhaust gas temp ! This is why the Pyrometer is important , low temps means the exhaust is contained within the engine and normally a valve adjustment is called for , other end of the spectrum where the exhaust gas runs too high we back out of the throttle and let the temp come down . There is a situation where the turbo "runs away" meaning you cannot shut down the engine and the engine will run at maximum rpm's till it disintegrates , it is difficult to put it into a high gear at these rpm's so stalling the engine is difficult , anyway , you need to stall the engine within a minute of this happening , if not , coolant will be pumped out and the oil will degrade and the engine will seize . Check this video out ....

Just an observation here.... this "driving" you do is complex! It's almost like an art form...or running a starship.....

EGT's exhaust gas temp ! This is why the Pyrometer is important , low temps means the exhaust is contained within the engine and normally a valve adjustment is called for , other end of the spectrum where the exhaust gas runs too high we back out of the throttle and let the temp come down . There is a situation where the turbo "runs away" meaning you cannot shut down the engine and the engine will run at maximum rpm's till it disintegrates , it is difficult to put it into a high gear at these rpm's so stalling the engine is difficult , anyway , you need to stall the engine within a minute of this happening , if not , coolant will be pumped out and the oil will degrade and the engine will seize . Check this video out ....
Oh wow, I've never heard of it doing this before. That was just sad to see that engine get ruined.

Reactions: Speedbird