What was this strong force?

Timothy Ochoa

Reaction score
This occurrence happened several years ago in my home when I was around the age of 14-15. Now, I just want it to be known that I've never experienced anything like this in my life before or since. It was pretty late into the night and I was dog tired from a busy day, and was aching for some shuteye. I ended up falling asleep on the living room sofa that night... nothing to it. I'd slept on the sofas in our living room then a countless number of times, so this wasn't too unusual of me. The difference this time, however, was that I choose the sofa at the far end of my living room.. the lone one, isolated from the other 2 sofas which were in close proximity to each other on the opposite side of room.

Well moving on, I must've been asleep for likely not more than an hour (probably around 35-50 minutes, if I could take a guess) before I ended up awakening. *You know how sometimes you end up waking in the middle of night when you're parched, ready for a drink of water? If my memory serves my right, that was the case this time. Now fully awake atop the sofa trying to gather myself, I'd been laying still there for a bit.. I suddenly, and I mean just abruptly, felt this incredible sucking force take hold of my entire body. So strong that I couldn't brake free of its grasp one bit.. as it was sucking me more towards the innards of the sofa. It felt like some strong magnetic force.. if I could find a way to describe the sensation. It wasn't hurting me, wasn't causing me pain, but was sure giving me a slight panic because of its unrelenting grip of my body. I thought this was some demonic force or something messing with me, and so I prayed hard and aloud all during that time. Miraculously-like, that thing's grip was weakening more and more as I continued on in prayer. Eventually it let me go completely. boy was I shook lol. I even awoken my parents and told 'em what occurred, explained the whole thing.

All that time while explaining to my Folks, I was shivering/shaking/jolting, my whole body was shivering uncontrollably. I guess outta pure fear and shock, not too sure. The shaking eventually subsided, but it took about an hour or so. I still maintain that the ridiculously strong force that was sucking me in during that 25-30 seconds of terror was something malicious, I just know it down to my bones. Ever since that day, I made sure to NEVER sleep on that sofa again haha. It never happened again, thankfully. any of y'all's thoughts regarding this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Hi, Timothy and welcome to the forum. Please don't take my response as negative or unbelieving, I just try to first exhaust all possible explanations before jumping right to something being paranormal, its not that I am a complete skeptic its just that I want to be sure there's no other explanations first.
You said you had been asleep for maybe an hour, well, that can be about the right time for you to become relaxed enough to enter into dream state, so it very well could have been a form of sleep paralysis or an anxiety type attack. Especially since you said you were shaking and such uncontrolleably., that would be adrenaline, which is very common with an anxiety attack.
Is there any other details you can share, anything leading up to this experience or any other odd or out of the way feelings or occurrences.... I'm sure some of the other members will chime in and ask some more questions or give their opinions and ideas in a way that maybe we all can find a proper and possible answer to this for you.

this sounds pretty scary. glad that it only happened once. have you done any reading up on things like this?

Wow that’s an expierence! Sorry that happened to you. I have really no explanation. However I’ve been reading some about the Dero beings that many report seeing. They live underground and have technology. They are reported to capture people and use them underground for salves. The fact it was sucking you downward made me think of that. They can open portals to abduct people. Perhaps look into this. Your prayers saved you from something bad for sure.

Reactions: Timothy Ochoa
They are reported to capture people and use them underground for salves.

Hey Lynne, is the last word in your sentence quoted above a spelling error? If you tell me “No” then I might have to run off and ralf!

Reactions: 7Critter
Hi, Timothy and welcome to the forum. Please don't take my response as negative or unbelieving, I just try to first exhaust all possible explanations before jumping right to something being paranormal, its not that I am a complete skeptic its just that I want to be sure there's no other explanations first.
You said you had been asleep for maybe an hour, well, that can be about the right time for you to become relaxed enough to enter into dream state, so it very well could have been a form of sleep paralysis or an anxiety type attack. Especially since you said you were shaking and such uncontrolleably., that would be adrenaline, which is very common with an anxiety attack.
Is there any other details you can share, anything leading up to this experience or any other odd or out of the way feelings or occurrences.... I'm sure some of the other members will chime in and ask some more questions or give their opinions and ideas in a way that maybe we all can find a proper and possible answer to this for you.

Yeah no prob, I'm not a person that'll take offense if you don't agree with me haha. I talked to my old bro about it at the time.. he too is more-so convinced it was just sleep paralysis. which is totally fine, heck maybe it was. but I'm not so convinced to chalk it up to that.. who really knows though? on it being a possible anxiety attack? well I know you don't know me and all lol etc. but personally I NEVER get anxiety attacks. not once before in life, to be completely honest. so it goes to say I'm almost certain it wasn't that. I say this having an older bro that would get them semi-frequently as a youth.. so I gotta good grasp what they look like, descriptions on how they can feel etc. maybe my bad on not explaining further.. the jolting/shaking outta my control during the aftermath was just that.. I was actually fairly calm now and sitting atop a bed. *tho your explaining that it was adrenaline I was feeling sounds pretty accurate, now that I think back.* I even remember getting a little annoyed by the shaking/shivering not subsiding yet.. was as if I was extremely cold but this is South Texas.. it's always hot lol. in regard to if there was anything odd/unusual leading up to/or on that day? no not at all. just a typical day and I felt good, just sleepy is all lol. this experience was a 1-time thing pretty much, I won't lie to ya.

Last edited:
this sounds pretty scary. glad that it only happened once. have you done any reading up on things like this?

Yeah it tripped me out something good lol. I have done some reading up on experiences/sensations like that. by some descriptions it would fit the bill as being sleep paralysis. and heck maybe it was. but I'm open to other possibilities.. but who really knows though, ya know?

Wow that’s an expierence! Sorry that happened to you. I have really no explanation. However I’ve been reading some about the Dero beings that many report seeing. They live underground and have technology. They are reported to capture people and use them underground for salves. The fact it was sucking you downward made me think of that. They can open portals to abduct people. Perhaps look into this. Your prayers saved you from something bad for sure.

Hmm that's a bit interesting, never heard of Dero beings before. I can't say I'm convinced I got abducted by them in my experience tho haha. Thanks for dishing your thoughts on this, and yes I am convinced my prayers put an end to that magnetic force! best regards

Hey Lynne, is the last word in your sentence quoted above a spelling error? If you tell me “No” then I might have to run off and ralf!
Lol that’s too funny to change. That would be way worse than being a SLAVE. HA HA ! Good catch !

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Yeah no prob, I'm not a person that'll take offense if you don't agree with me haha. I talked to my old bro about it at the time.. he too is more-so convinced it was just sleep paralysis. which is totally fine, heck maybe it was. but I'm not so convinced to chalk it up to that.. who really knows though? on it being a possible anxiety attack? well I know you don't know me and all lol etc. but personally I NEVER get anxiety attacks. not once before in life, to be completely honest. so it goes to say I'm almost certain it wasn't that. I say this having an older bro that would get them semi-frequently as a youth.. so I gotta good grasp what they look like, descriptions on how they can feel etc. maybe my bad on not explaining further.. the jolting/shaking outta my control during the aftermath was just that.. I was actually fairly calm now and sitting atop a bed. *tho your explaining that it was adrenaline I was feeling sounds pretty accurate, now that I think back.* I even remember getting a little annoyed by the shaking/shivering not subsiding yet.. was as if I was extremely cold but this is South Texas.. it's always hot lol. in regard to if there was anything odd/unusual leading up to/or on that day? no not at all. just a typical day and I felt good, just sleepy is all lol. this experience was a 1-time thing pretty much, I won't lie to ya.
Ok I had another thought on his. Perhaps you were astral traveling out of your body in your sleep and you became conscious before you were back in. Not really sleep paralysis but similar. The sucking and shaking was you re-entering your body. Just another idea to consider