What product...

AMMO...Oh yeah, I've already done that!

In the area of more fun things, I would probably have to stock up big if they were to decide to stop making Mountain Dew! I'm also pretty fond (maybe addicted to) my morning coffee fix. I couldn't have it for several months this summer and I missed it EVERY DAY!

After writing this I had to get up and make some coffee. Lordy I missed it! I actually was past 40 before I started drinking it.

Last edited:
AMMO...Oh yeah, I've already done that!

In the area of more fun things, I would probably have to stock up big if they were to decide to stop making Mountain Dew! I'm also pretty fond (maybe addicted to) my morning coffee fix. I couldn't have it for several months this summer and I missed it EVERY DAY!
Ohhhh! Yes! Coffee! ARG! Must have!

When I was a kid they had a very bad winter down in Columbia and the rumors were that the coffee harvest might be nearly nil for several years because the plants might die and have to be planted and start all over. My Mom started her coffee pot at around 4 am every morning and it was kept hot and fresh all day and until about 9 pm that evening. When that rumor came out that coffee might not be available my Mom figured out how much Coffee they would need to last for two years and sent my Dad and I out to get that amount!!! We hit every store in town for about 5 to 10 cans. they stacked it in the back of every closet in the house. my Mom was NOT going to be without her coffee...and I was thankful for that!! life as I knew it would not have been possible if my Mom had to do without her coffee fix and my Dad would not have been much better.

My Mom couldn't leave the house very much because she had to stay to take care of my little brother. He was profoundly retarded and could not be left alone and not just anyone could handle him. I called him my little brother but he was more like my Dad where I was built more like my Mom. she was 5'10" and I am 6' 2". my Dad was tall between 6'4" and 6' 5" and my "little" brother was around 6' 5" or 6' 6".

Since my Mom couldn't get out all of the ladies on the street used our house as the meeting place. I HATED Tuesdays and would get up early and leave. that was the day that they all got together and did Perms!! The smell would just take my breath away!!

They always knew that there was a fresh pot of coffee waiting on them there and if kept my Mom from being so isolated. She also baked a lot so there would usually be cookies or cake there too.

Back then women just didn't work. When you have a passel of kids those ladies had PLENTY of work to keep them busy. The older kids helped with the younger kids and after I got a little older my Mom got to go out more.

Since she couldn't go shopping every day I was raised with a well-stocked pantry. I still always have several months of groceries stored.

Sorry I wandered....

When I was a kid they had a very bad winter down in Columbia and the rumors were that the coffee harvest might be nearly nil for several years because the plants might die and have to be planted and start all over. My Mom started her coffee pot at around 4 am every morning and it was kept hot and fresh all day and until about 9 pm that evening. When that rumor came out that coffee might not be available my Mom figured out how much Coffee they would need to last for two years and sent my Dad and I out to get that amount!!! We hit every store in town for about 5 to 10 cans. they stacked it in the back of every closet in the house. my Mom was NOT going to be without her coffee...and I was thankful for that!! life as I knew it would not have been possible if my Mom had to do without her coffee fix and my Dad would not have been much better.

My Mom couldn't leave the house very much because she had to stay to take care of my little brother. He was profoundly retarded and could not be left alone and not just anyone could handle him. I called him my little brother but he was more like my Dad where I was built more like my Mom. she was 5'10" and I am 6' 2". my Dad was tall between 6'4" and 6' 5" and my "little" brother was around 6' 5" or 6' 6".

Since my Mom couldn't get out all of the ladies on the street used our house as the meeting place. I HATED Tuesdays and would get up early and leave. that was the day that they all got together and did Perms!! The smell would just take my breath away!!

They always knew that there was a fresh pot of coffee waiting on them there and if kept my Mom from being so isolated. She also baked a lot so there would usually be cookies or cake there too.

Back then women just didn't work. When you have a passel of kids those ladies had PLENTY of work to keep them busy. The older kids helped with the younger kids and after I got a little older my Mom got to go out more.

Since she couldn't go shopping every day I was raised with a well-stocked pantry. I still always have several months of groceries stored.

Sorry I wandered....
can I say here Tex ~~ it is very nice to hear your voice again. I would miss you most of all scarecrow. :flushed:hmmph... anyway...

I had a truly amazing, funny, intelligent, WONDERFUL - Mother-In-Law and this reminded me of her. Millard and Velma. Grandma and Grandpa Kincaid. Kansas wheat farmers (small family farm when they still existed) they farmed 4 sections which if I remember right - was 320 acres. They had 3 kids... 2 girls and my husband who was the baby. Now...

Velma did not work outside the home - but she worked INSIDE that home. lolol

They lived through the depression, tornado's, drought, dust storms... raised 3 kids... and THEY worked too. lol Velma was up every morning before 4:00 a.m. - when it was NOT harvest time, she would go to the hen house, collect eggs, and ring the necks of one or two hens for 'dinner' (not supper there). Then she would feed the chickens, lambs (when she had them) dogs and cats, return to the kitchen and start a large breakfast for her husband, brother (who helped on the farm), her husbands mother (lived with them til her death) and her kids. In good times it was eggs, bacon, potatoes, and ham or bacon, biscuits and gravy (they raised all their own meat). In bad times oatmeal or more often 'mush' (cornmeal, water, and if you are lucky - a little sugar or butter)... then off to get the day started while they ate... those kids were required to walk 4 miles to the sand dunes with the cows in tow before school and they were required to retrieve said cows on their way home from school. My husband THEN had the north 40 to till, or plant, or whatever the season held. The tractor he used was one of those that you had to spin the wheel on the front to start - and he would wait on the 40 for the mailman who stopped every morning to help him. He was 7. THEN school. Football. Chores... The girls were no luckier I think, as Velma kept them quite busy with 'home stuff'. On wash days the tubs came out - soap, bluing, hand wringer... rinse, hand wringer... Velma sewed ALL the clothes those kids wore winter, summer, church, school, pond... lol

Now, all this was NOT harvest time.

Harvest time, the migrants came to help bring in the wheat. During harvest she rang a dozen hens necks, fed her family and the laborer's and their families - breakfast AND lunch... AND drove the wheat trucks to and from the co-op... BEFORE her kids got home from school. They had no running water until the mid-fifties and no electricity for almost as long. SHE paid for the electricity by raising and selling lambs, eggs, churning butter, doing seamstress work, and whatever else she could find to make and save money for that power.

On top of all this stuff... her house was apparently ALWAYS spotless... and if you've ever lived in a dust bowl you will realize the miracle that was. My husband told me that his mom never, EVER, missed reading them a story at bed time.

Many times we would sit at the kitchen table and talk after Sunday dinner (and she could COOK... OMG) and the men would start reminiscing about "the good old days" and Velma would say "Good for who? Go drink your coffee and take that cream on top with you" lolol I never heard her say a mean or bad thing about a single person. Not once. But she was no 'the little woman'.

Man, I miss her. Him to. And the farm. And "the good old days",

Reactions: Benway