What optimistic nihilism has taught me

Charleh

Please insert coffee
Reaction score
So I’m not completely nihilistic. I do believe in God. And heaven. And life beyond the illusion we call death. But I am a nihilist in regards to this physical life. I don’t believe that our actions in life determines anything that happens in the next life, or next plane of existence.

I believe that once our bodies rot in the ground or our ashes scatter the earth, we’ll be forgotten. whether that takes 3 generations or 10,000 years, there will be a point in time that nothing on the physical realm will have been affected by the short time we’ve been here. Kinda like the saying, “in 100 years who’s gonna care?”

That brings me to a revelation I had earlier this year. I’ve been given this question so many times. “How can you forgive the most horrible things in history, or the most horrible thing that’s happened to you?” Or “how can God forgive me, or the people that have wronged me?”

Well one night I decided to meditate on that question. And I came to this realization. The reason that God, whoever you know them to be, can forgive, is because if nobody can have a grudge on you for 1,000 years, how would a loving creator hold a grudge on anyone that’s asked for forgiveness?

So the conclusion I came to was this. We must forgive others because a grudge, just like life, isn’t going to matter forever. And if we do want to reach to infinity in the next life or plane, it’s another burden to leave behind in this life, just like materialism, personal gain, just to name a few. Otherwise it could be the one thing holding us back from reaching higher places.

I want to quote Dean Winchester from supernatural. In season 12, he had to find a bunch of souls (for *something* no spoilers ;) )so he said “ok let’s find an insane asylum, coz ghosts are just souls with baggage”. Perhaps some of that baggage could be grudges we held onto in this life, that could keep us on earth when we pass away.

What beliefs do you hold that have brought you to a unique revelation or epiphany?

Reactions: Paintman
Furthermore, I thought really hard on the meaning and the purpose of life.

Idunno why I always have to ask myself difficult questions.

I think I finally nailed this one on the head.

I believe that there are many things in this life, no matter how significant, have little bearing on the meaning and purpose, as we can’t take them with us. In my faith I understand that our memories, thoughts, and ego all pass away with us, as they don’t serve us on the other side. That’s what I believe. And of course we can’t take riches or reputation with us either.

Then I came to a simple understanding. Let me see if I can articulate it properly.

I think we all agree on the concept of “as above, so below” right? Well, I think our place in this world very well reflects our place in the universe, and the next life.

You see, in the other planes, the beings there have their own place there. A calling to do what they do, and a place they belong to. Coincidentally in the physical world every sentient being has a place they belong and a calling to do what they do.

So I think the only thing we take with us is the calling we were given in this life. And that what we were called to do now is what we’ll be called to do in the next life, just on a bigger scale, since we wouldn’t necessarily be confined to this planet. I’ll quote the parable of the three servants put in charge of their master’s money

Matt. 25:23 KJV
“His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.”

So in essence, life is nothing more than a reflection of what you’re destined to be.

Reactions: Benway
So I’m not completely nihilistic. I do believe in God. And heaven. And life beyond the illusion we call death. But I am a nihilist in regards to this physical life. I don’t believe that our actions in life determines anything that happens in the next life, or next plane of existence.

I believe that once our bodies rot in the ground or our ashes scatter the earth, we’ll be forgotten. whether that takes 3 generations or 10,000 years, there will be a point in time that nothing on the physical realm will have been affected by the short time we’ve been here. Kinda like the saying, “in 100 years who’s gonna care?”

That brings me to a revelation I had earlier this year. I’ve been given this question so many times. “How can you forgive the most horrible things in history, or the most horrible thing that’s happened to you?” Or “how can God forgive me, or the people that have wronged me?”

Well one night I decided to meditate on that question. And I came to this realization. The reason that God, whoever you know them to be, can forgive, is because if nobody can have a grudge on you for 1,000 years, how would a loving creator hold a grudge on anyone that’s asked for forgiveness?

So the conclusion I came to was this. We must forgive others because a grudge, just like life, isn’t going to matter forever. And if we do want to reach to infinity in the next life or plane, it’s another burden to leave behind in this life, just like materialism, personal gain, just to name a few. Otherwise it could be the one thing holding us back from reaching higher places.

I want to quote Dean Winchester from supernatural. In season 12, he had to find a bunch of souls (for *something* no spoilers ;) )so he said “ok let’s find an insane asylum, coz ghosts are just souls with baggage”. Perhaps some of that baggage could be grudges we held onto in this life, that could keep us on earth when we pass away.
I'm almost opposite to you!
I believe God is incomprehensible to us, abstract and we are just the same to it, though I do love a personification of all life on Earth, which others may think of as God. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I hope there is survival beyond physical death and that it is determined by our conduct in this life, but don't know that and fear that death may be the end, or worse that consciousness could remain in total sensory deprivation without a body, which would be the worst kind of hell. (Apologies for that less than cheery thought.)
I think that though we may be forgotten for who we are and that even the famous will become distorted into legends, that every action we take or don't take impacts on the lives of others, affecting them and causing them to send out further ripples through the world. Following from that I don't forgive people who cause harm now or in the past, because the damage they cause goes far further than is obvious and effects everyone forever, rippling out through future history. Everything in this life matters because there may not be anything else, and further because what does or doesn't happen next is for later and beyond our control. We have this right now and should make the best of it for everybody! It's at once more negative and more positive.

Last edited:
I'm almost opposite to you!
I believe God is incomprehensible to us, abstract and we are just the same to it, though I do love a personification of all life on Earth, which others may think of as God. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I hope there is survival beyond physical death and that it is determined by our conduct in this life, but don't know that and fear that death may be the end, or worse that consciousness could remain in total sensory deprivation without a body, which would be the worst kind of hell. (Apologies for that less than cheery thought.)
I think that though we may be forgotten for who we are and that even the famous will become distorted into legends, that every action we take or don't take impacts on the lives of others, affecting them and causing them to send out further ripples through the world. Following from that I don't forgive people who cause harm now or in the past, because the damage they cause goes far further than is obvious and effects everyone forever, rippling out through future history. Everything in this life matters because there may not be anything else, and further because what does or doesn't happen next is for later and beyond our control. We have this right now and should make the best of it for everybody! It's at once more negative and more positive.
You’re right. If there’s nothing past the physical life, then I guess every little thing you do matters in life.

Nihilism is a belief that life has no meaning in its truest since that would be no religion either. I am far removed from this belief. I believe we are all here for a purpose to serve God, man and learn from having a physical existence. I believe we take our memories with us otherwise there would be no point in what we learn and no reward for our faith and deeds in the body. What we do does matter because like Ben said it has a ripple effect. Also what we accomplish here effects others in life for generations. An example would be advancements in technology. Spiritual beliefs have been handed down since the beginning of history and probably since the beginning of existence. Of course this is just my opinion but to believe life has no meaning is a hard existence on the mind. I must believe I will take my memories and love with me into the next life to be able to live in the present one.

Last edited: