What needs to be...

Not an invention but I hate going in to vote, why not on line voting?
You go into vote and they badger you. Where do you live...who are you...lol. I have lived here all my life dude...i mean really. After 9/11 you felt like a prisoner in your own country. You had to provide 5 different forms of id to renew your driver's license that you have been getting for years lol. There's gotta be a record of people somewhere lol.

I was always fond of the 'Replicator' from Star Trek lol. Wouldn't it be nice to just 'create' something out of thin air...or whatever that tech was based on? Cooking food though, would take away from the fun in making it yourself, but in a pinch...lol. Then there is the whole Holodeck thing. Would be nice to interact with a book/story etc. Though like with the one poor Lt. who immersed himself too much...yeah that'd become an issue.
The best thing about having a replicator is that you only ever need to make just one. After that you just ask it to replicate a new replicator!

I've had some sci-fi story lines bouncing around in the back of my head for years. One involved self replicating robots that can build new robots out of locally sourced matter. So instead of sending a manned mission to some far off planet the people sent a few of these robots who gather the resources to build a work force which in turn builds a base station. Then the people arrive and already have a station from which they can operate and further explore.

Better pain meds with no addiction concerns or terrible side effects!

OK, that wasn't very light-hearted but it's my sincere answer. In fact I could run down a litany of medical inventions I'd like to see.

Flying cars will never happen. The entire system would have to be computer controlled to avoid accidents, which would all be essentially horrible airplane crashes. There are no fender-benders with flying cars. I can just imagine the insurance premiums on flying cars. It will NOT be a point-to-point free-for-all situation like everyone imagines. Traffic lanes in the sky with central computer control is the only way to make it work. I have NO desire to see that day arrive.

I think that we will eventually have flying "cars". The thing is that they will NOT be human-controlled. I suspect that at about the same time the freeways and such will be limited to computer-controlled vehickles. People are almost useless at speeds above 70 MPH in heavy traffic situations. Your reaction time at speeds above 70 means that you crash before you can react.

Not an invention but I hate going in to vote, why not on line voting?
You realize I'm from Chicago and have never seen a fair election in my lifetime. If we had in - person voting with DNA samples matching up with an eye scan - they would still find a way around it !

The best thing about having a replicator is that you only ever need to make just one. After that you just ask it to replicate a new replicator!

I've had some sci-fi story lines bouncing around in the back of my head for years. One involved self replicating robots that can build new robots out of locally sourced matter. So instead of sending a manned mission to some far off planet the people sent a few of these robots who gather the resources to build a work force which in turn builds a base station. Then the people arrive and already have a station from which they can operate and further explore.
Steve, Steve! That's a story line right out of Stargate 1. And it went very, very badly when the replicators became sentient and ate their way through the galaxy. :eek: