What Movie...

No movie traumatized me but one scene in the original Star Wars did. It's the scene when Darth Vader enters Princess Leia's jail cell with the droid that has the syringe and floats into the camera, since I have a phobia of needles that got to me.

Fun facts. Did you know that not only was Robert Shaw an actor but was also author, playwright and poet and wrote the Indianapolis dialog that he told in the film the night before his character's death? And that the mechanical shark had a name - Bruce. After Steven Spielberg's lawyer. I remember Quint's death more than anything. He drowned in the novel and didn't meet the end he did in the film.
Interesting facts. We as a society seemed more innocent in some ways back then. I remember the shock this movie caused. Today it would probably not even get a good review. People really seemed afraid to go swimming in any large body of water regardless there were no sharks in them. I will admit it gave swimming at night a whole different feel.

I don't remember what traumatized me as a child, but as an adult I was freaked out and my anxiety increased when I watched a movie on TV. I think it was in the 1990s.
I 'think' it was called Storm of the Century, but not positive.
Anyway that movie really got to me. It shook my core for weeks afterwards.

The soap opera Dark Shadows was on TV when I was a real little guy.
There was a scene where a Witchy Woman with a frightening voice was standing outside and peering through a window. Snow falling around her. "It's getting too cold here, I must go to Florida where I will be warm."
We had the same looking windows at my childhood home. I was afraid to look out a particular window because the witch may still be there.

At the time when this happened, I was listening to a local- call in- radio show. I was living in Seattle at the time.
The host started a topic about What event in your life really freaked you out/ changed you in some way- words to that effect.

And I just KNEW he wanted to hear about my experience with the movie I posted above- as this radio show happened 2 days afterwards.
A slew of people called in saying what changed them (temporarily) was riding on a scary roller coaster, swimming in the ocean after watching Jaws, getting stuck on a ferris wheel...

The host kept saying to these callers "no that's not what I'm asking" -"what REALLY CHANGED you"
Still, he kept getting calls that weren't what he was looking for.

Then my call- I was THE ONE he was looking for. Because after that movie (from my post above) I went to my doctor about all my anxieties and fears from watching that movie. I was scared to be alone. I was scared whenever the phone rang, a knock at the door. I was scared/nervous about everything. I was given medication and this 'fear' I had lasted for weeks/months/years and still to this day I still have a lot of those fears/anxieties- years later.

I was always a bit anxious/fearful of things but NOT to the extent I had become after watching that movie.

Geeze- now as I'm reading what I just wrote, I feel like a freak :(

At the time when this happened, I was listening to a local- call in- radio show. I was living in Seattle at the time.
The host started a topic about What event in your life really freaked you out/ changed you in some way- words to that effect.

And I just KNEW he wanted to hear about my experience with the movie I posted above- as this radio show happened 2 days afterwards.
A slew of people called in saying what changed them (temporarily) was riding on a scary roller coaster, swimming in the ocean after watching Jaws, getting stuck on a ferris wheel...

The host kept saying to these callers "no that's not what I'm asking" -"what REALLY CHANGED you"
Still, he kept getting calls that weren't what he was looking for.

Then my call- I was THE ONE he was looking for. Because after that movie (from my post above) I went to my doctor about all my anxieties and fears from watching that movie. I was scared to be alone. I was scared whenever the phone rang, a knock at the door. I was scared/nervous about everything. I was given medication and this 'fear' I had lasted for weeks/months/years and still to this day I still have a lot of those fears/anxieties- years later.

I was always a bit anxious/fearful of things but NOT to the extent I had become after watching that movie.

Geeze- now as I'm reading what I just wrote, I feel like a freak :(
Now I have to look it up.

Reactions: Benway
I don't remember what traumatized me as a child, but as an adult I was freaked out and my anxiety increased when I watched a movie on TV. I think it was in the 1990s.
I 'think' it was called Storm of the Century, but not positive.
Anyway that movie really got to me. It shook my core for weeks afterwards.
Is this it ?

And now that I'm watching the trailer, I want to say that we watched this on a PNF movie night.[/URL]

This is a Stephan King written mini series, 4 hours 17 minutes in total. Does anyone recall watching it in parts on PNF ? It is available on YouTube in parts if we have not.

Last edited: