What is something...

One thing I can't get my head around is how men can drink whisky (or women, for that matter!). My Dad loves a single malt and over the years I've had a tiny drop here and there to see if I like it. I never do. I just end up wrinkling my nose and asking him "how on earth can you drink that stuff?" Same with beer, actually - it tastes really bitter to me. And red wine...
Try a good Irish whiskey.

How about mint jelly? I can't stand the stuff. My mother used to serve it with roast lamb at Easter.
I do like mint jelly, or mint sauce, as we called it. However, I can't stand jelly, which you call jello. Couldn't stand it as a child and I still can't stand it. It's the texture - all slippery and wibbly... ;vo

I do like mint jelly, or mint sauce, as we called it. However, I can't stand jelly, which you call jello. Couldn't stand it as a child and I still can't stand it. It's the texture - all slippery and wibbly... ;vo
Well, actually what we call jello is different from jelly. Jello is a dessert made from sweetened gelatin. Jelly is fruit cooked with sugar and pectin until it becomes gelatinous in texture, but is much sweeter. We also use fruit conserves, and jam made from fruits, on bread which is toasted or made into sandwiches.

Reactions: Selectric
Well, actually what we call jello is different from jelly. Jello is a dessert made from sweetened gelatin. Jelly is fruit cooked with sugar and pectin until it becomes gelatinous in texture, but is much sweeter. We also use fruit conserves, and jam made from fruits, on bread
Yes, jelly is the dessert made from sweetened gelatin and is the thing I can't stand. People make trifle with it but I have to remove the jelly and just eat the custard and cream!

What you call jelly is what we call jam, which we spread on toast for breakfast.

Separated, as ever, by a common language! :laughing:

Just for extra clarity, jelly here in the UK, is what you can buy moulds for and it comes in a multitude of colours.

Reactions: garnetsilver