What is something...

Surprised that olives are not getting love.
I make a real good Greek salad. (It's just a regular salad with black olives.)

Gyros and my homemade pasta sauce the same way.

Love black olives and green olives on pizza. The acid cuts right through the fat.

Love black olives and green olives on pizza. The acid cuts right through the fat.
i love olives, i have a mission olive tree on the patio.....cool little tree

About the only two places I like olives are in antipasto and on pizza. I once worked with a guy who'd sit at his desk and eat them like potato chips.

I was raised in a coastal area and loved seafood of all kinds. One of my favorites that my wife just couldn't stand was raw oysters on a half shell. These were FRESH oysters not store-bought and with homemade cocktail sauce, they were GREAT!!!

Honestly, I will eat anything and if I'm hungry when I am cleaning fish I will cut a filet and snack on it while I'm cleaning the rest. I also like my beef bloody rare. When someone asked how I wanted it cooked I used to answer them with "Just cripple it and run it by me!" I'm real easy to feed. I like almost everything. I am a culinary adventurer and will try almost anything once...heck most things will even give a second chance in case it was the cook and not the dish that was bad.
I love it Dan. You could survive well in a crisis. Please save me when it happens lol.

I have been into survival longer than "survival" has been a popular thing. For 50-odd years I have always been prepared for anything that is survivable. When I was young one of the things that I got to deal with was the fact that where I lived was one of the PRIMARY civilian targets for several nukes if we went to war with Russia. IF we survived my family had plans and I knew what I needed to do. This seemed almost certain a few times. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, we stayed loaded up and ready to run.

We as kids were not allowed to think that we were "safe" and beyond taking a hit. The elementary school I went to had atomic bomb drills. Sort of like other drills except we went into the halls, got on our knees facing the wall, and bent over and kissed our asses goodbye.

The problem was that the place that I was raised was at that time THE major refinery place that most refined oil products came from. We had oil well EVERYWHERE. They were in neighborhoods, on school grounds...everywhere! Every gas and chemical seller out there had a refinery in the area. Still does for that matter... Those and the port there made us a VERY attractive target. We were in the top ten in the US.

There were times when tensions with Russia were high that we kept the car loaded. It was a different time. Most of the adults KNEW that war could come to us because nearly all of them had been directly affected or served in the military in WW2. My Mom lost her first husband in that war and my Dad served. War was very real to them in a way that nobody of my generation really understands. EVERYONE went to war. The civilians had rationing and everyone had family somewhere fighting.

It wasn't like Vietnam. Every young man was trying to enlist. My Dad's brother was a pilot and my Dad went in the day after his 16th birthday. He went navy because the army made you wait until you were 17. LOL He became a pilot like his big brother. He took flight training in Fort Worth. Then he went to Corpus Christy for his over-the-water training...And discovered that he was slightly color blind and the blue skies over the blue water of the gulf were too close and he couldn't see his horizon. Not good for a navy pilot.

The worst thing possible at that time was to be thought to be a draft dodger. My Uncle enlisted SEVERAL times at different recruiting places. The old thing about flat feet was not a joke and as soon as they saw his feet they sent him home. The thing was that he looked like a big 6'1" muscular man and was constantly harassed for not being in the service if he went anyplace where people didn't know him and know how hard he tried to enlist.

Reactions: Lynne and Selectric