What is it with basements?

TonyM

Deactivated Account
Reaction score
Website
monaghan.tv
I see basements in lots of US paranormal documentaries and even other videos where people don't like basements. We don't have such a thing in the UK at least not that I've seen but it sounds like a cool thing to have. Do you dig a hole before building the house?

Reactions: Benway and Paulm
I see basements in lots of US paranormal documentaries and even other videos where people don't like basements. We don't have such a thing in the UK at least not that I've seen but it sounds like a cool thing to have. Do you dig a hole before building the house?

Don't really dig a hole as much as building the foundation and then manipulating the earth / backfilling around it....not many houses have basement anymore, now its just crawlspaces mostly........basements are from a time of root cellars and coal burning for heat, so before electricity was the true era of basement construction.....kept coal out of the main house and was always damp and cool, so good for vegetable storage.......and spooky.....lol

You find basements a lot in the midwest. One very good reason for having one is if you live in tornado country, this can be a life saver.

As Paul said, many times this is just an extension of the root cellar of old. Many of the older basements have a very closed in feel to them....very little lighting and I often think we connect them with "being buried." Also, the energy within those areas is from the Earth, and not the Air, which totally changes the feel of those rooms. The earth energy may even feed into the elementals being found more often n basements.

I once worked in a house in Birmingham, UK that had a basement. The utility room was down there. But that basement creeped me out so I never volunteered for laundry duty.

Reactions: Debi
I once worked in a house in Birmingham, UK that had a basement. The utility room was down there. But that basement creeped me out so I never volunteered for laundry duty.

Hah, yeah, I've got a friend who has a basement - or rather a cellar. They've got their washing machine and tumble dryer down there, and I think a chest freezer. Much smaller than the ones you tend to see on US TV, but equally spooky!

Reactions: Debi
I like this topic! I have always hated the basements of most houses that I have lived in, found them spooky, etc. But the one we have now is very dry and has windows so it isn't dark and spooky at all. It extends the full length of the house, and I don't mind going in it, which surprises me. And just yesterday Jim found a black Salamander down there! It must have come up through the drain in the floor. We put it outside.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman