What is it with basements?

Discussion in 'Random' started by TonyM, Oct 26, 2019.

1. TonyM

TonyM
    Expand Collapse
    Staff

I see basements in lots of US paranormal documentaries and even other videos where people don't like basements. We don't have such a thing in the UK at least not that I've seen but it sounds like a cool thing to have. Do you dig a hole before building the house?

Benway and Paulm like this.
  2. Paulm

Paulm
    Expand Collapse
    Truth Seeker

Don't really dig a hole as much as building the foundation and then manipulating the earth / backfilling around it....not many houses have basement anymore, now its just crawlspaces mostly........basements are from a time of root cellars and coal burning for heat, so before electricity was the true era of basement construction.....kept coal out of the main house and was always damp and cool, so good for vegetable storage.......and spooky.....lol

3. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse
    Owner/Admin
    Staff

You find basements a lot in the midwest. One very good reason for having one is if you live in tornado country, this can be a life saver.

As Paul said, many times this is just an extension of the root cellar of old. Many of the older basements have a very closed in feel to them....very little lighting and I often think we connect them with "being buried." Also, the energy within those areas is from the Earth, and not the Air, which totally changes the feel of those rooms. The earth energy may even feed into the elementals being found more often n basements.

Benway and WitchAndShaman like this.
  4. qwynie Rose

qwynie Rose
    Expand Collapse

I once worked in a house in Birmingham, UK that had a basement. The utility room was down there. But that basement creeped me out so I never volunteered for laundry duty.

Debi likes this.
  5. WatcherOfTheNight

WatcherOfTheNight
    Expand Collapse

Hah, yeah, I've got a friend who has a basement - or rather a cellar. They've got their washing machine and tumble dryer down there, and I think a chest freezer. Much smaller than the ones you tend to see on US TV, but equally spooky!

Debi likes this.