What is fear?

As debi said fear is pretty much loss of control although considering we control our own lives through cause and effect doesn't that make fear an illusion?
"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me." -Robert E. Howard, "Queen of the Black Coast"

Reactions: SyStEm0v3r1dE
We’ve all been scared. And I’m sure for the most part when we looked back at the situation we never doubted for a second why we felt the fear and why we reacted in such a manner.

I started having night terrors. First time I remember having it me and my wife were living in our first apartment. In the night I saw a person in our room with a knife. And they were coming towards the bed. I woke up screaming and staring straight ahead at the attacker. As the backdrop of the dream slipped away and I came back to reality I was focused on the shiny Leggs egg on the dresser that my wife’s pantyhose came in. In my dream I obviously had my eyes open. The knife with its shiny finish was a real thing present in the room. I had just managed to make it into something else.

Over the years I’ve continued to have bad dreams. But now, the things I fear make no sense at all. I’ll awaken in a panic and my wife will ask me what’s trying to hurt me. And I feel silly when I say........ there was a plate of cookies. Literally wake up in a panic and screaming over stuff that doesn’t stand to reason most would find horrifying.
To answer your question what is fear, it is an emotion that protects us. I think fears purpose is to keep us alert and ready to protect our lives. It is a primal instinct. That said unreasonable fear needs to be rationalized away so one can lead a productive life. I like what Ronin said. Sometimes a dream is just a dream...

Reactions: ozentity
Being a guy we are taught its great to be fearless,problem is most fearless creatures on Earth have a very limited lifespan so being cautious is a better attribute and it contains fear.Fear is a good thing to have,as I get older and death closer, fear seems to take a back seat.So fear is a not just a feeling its an inbuilt survival mechanism that dims as your life loses its importance.Truly fearless animals such as fighting cocks and fighting dogs are admirable but wouldn't survive in uncontrolled environments.

As debi said fear is pretty much loss of control although considering we control our own lives through cause and effect doesn't that make fear an illusion?
Fear I believe is real. But it can be managed & even redirected into courage. But it takes discipline & a small dose of some necessary recklessness.

Reactions: Lynne