What is fear?

PratchysRevenge

Reaction score
We’ve all been scared. And I’m sure for the most part when we looked back at the situation we never doubted for a second why we felt the fear and why we reacted in such a manner.

I started having night terrors. First time I remember having it me and my wife were living in our first apartment. In the night I saw a person in our room with a knife. And they were coming towards the bed. I woke up screaming and staring straight ahead at the attacker. As the backdrop of the dream slipped away and I came back to reality I was focused on the shiny Leggs egg on the dresser that my wife’s pantyhose came in. In my dream I obviously had my eyes open. The knife with its shiny finish was a real thing present in the room. I had just managed to make it into something else.

Over the years I’ve continued to have bad dreams. But now, the things I fear make no sense at all. I’ll awaken in a panic and my wife will ask me what’s trying to hurt me. And I feel silly when I say........ there was a plate of cookies. Literally wake up in a panic and screaming over stuff that doesn’t stand to reason most would find horrifying.

Lots of posts these days about fear of the dark, night time, nightmares & seemingly with no remedy. Must be something in the air?

I for one love the night. As a child I had so many nightmares, every night for years that I eventually not only became numb to them, I began to have fun with them. I even learned to turn them around on the antagonists. You can actually go up to one & tickle them or try to embrace them & they become agitated & shrink.

Then there was a stretch of time where in lucid dreaming I would be “on call” to evict irksome or particularly fearsome ghosts at various houses around the world. I’d arrive just outside a random house. There would be someone there to greet me & tell me about the problem. Then I would muster my courage & face the thing down. Not all were successful. But many were subdued or less active. Some I would be able to sort of reason with.

Now on the very random occasion I have an unsettling dream or encounter, I’m so just over it that I just say “oh right, I’m dreaming. It’s this again”.

Reactions: ghostkind
My nightmares bug me .....except for one time that i had a demon looking at me ....for some reason that amused me...I felt like "what? do i amuse you!?" it's the dreams that incorporate things in regular life that get me. I've had paranormal experiences since a child, I'm at a point that if i saw something like a salt shaker move on it's own...I'd move it back and say cut it out! - but show me a dream with someone I know that died, it takes me a while to shake it off.

Reactions: ghostkind
i have decided that since the dream is MINE, i am the boss. thereby, the dream characters must be made to understand this. if a dream character is out of line, slap them. hit them. even kill them. there's no laws in dreams.

Reactions: Mrs Cooper
My nightmares bug me .....except for one time that i had a demon looking at me ....for some reason that amused me...I felt like "what? do i amuse you!?" it's the dreams that incorporate things in regular life that get me. I've had paranormal experiences since a child, I'm at a point that if i saw something like a salt shaker move on it's own...I'd move it back and say cut it out! - but show me a dream with someone I know that died, it takes me a while to shake it off.
Like I said, I’m over it. They did me to death as a child. So now I chase them in dreams.

I love dreams of someone who has died. They rarely show up but when they do, they give me tips that are invaluable. Or just advice & comfort. Those are some of my favorite dreams.

They aren’t allowed to do it that much though. There are strict rules “over there” where all of us come from & go back to. They/we aren’t allowed to interfere with lesson plans in the physical.

Reactions: ozentity
We’ve all been scared. And I’m sure for the most part when we looked back at the situation we never doubted for a second why we felt the fear and why we reacted in such a manner.

I started having night terrors. First time I remember having it me and my wife were living in our first apartment. In the night I saw a person in our room with a knife. And they were coming towards the bed. I woke up screaming and staring straight ahead at the attacker. As the backdrop of the dream slipped away and I came back to reality I was focused on the shiny Leggs egg on the dresser that my wife’s pantyhose came in. In my dream I obviously had my eyes open. The knife with its shiny finish was a real thing present in the room. I had just managed to make it into something else.

Over the years I’ve continued to have bad dreams. But now, the things I fear make no sense at all. I’ll awaken in a panic and my wife will ask me what’s trying to hurt me. And I feel silly when I say........ there was a plate of cookies. Literally wake up in a panic and screaming over stuff that doesn’t stand to reason most would find horrifying.

PR,

Welcome to the PNF. The moderators, frequent posters, and occasional newbies will probably respond with all kinds of inputs.

I don’t want to be a fear monger but I will tell you that from my own (singular) material experience, there can at times be something to fear but the real object or source of that fear is being masked.

As I posted this weekend, I just reached my first year anniversary as a member of PNF. I’ve posted about a lot of my own mystical and questionable personal experiences in the past year. However, there is one experience which I’ve purposely chosen not to post until today. The experiences you are sharing and asking about could be similar to the dream state fear I’ve experienced. Therefore I am committed to posting my experience with same. It’s going to be a long post - taking me time to author and taking up a lot of visual space on screen. Therefore I’m not going to clutter your own thread with that post. I’ll put it together and once posted, I’ll link back to your post so you can easily find it if you like.

Before I press “Post Reply”, let me give you the comfort that sometimes a dream is just a dream without an important external cause...sometimes.

Reactions: Lynne and ozentity
well, i tried again last night, fell asleep to youtube and not audio bible as i usually do ...had a dream i was getting bit by rattlesnakes many times, but it didn't scare me, if anything I noticed in my dream i wasn't poisoned and more annoyed than scared, when I woke up i didn't feel scared but wondering why I would have such a dream and on a psychological / science level what dreaming of being bit by rattlesnakes means heh. normal people wake up scared, i wake up annoyed and curious -facepalm-

Last edited:
Here is my lengthy post which I believe could be tangentially related to your "fears" while dreaming. If you just jump over there and read my post, you might not get the exact correlation. If that's true, I commit to post here on your thread clarity of my perceptions PR.

My premonition of 9 / 11 / 01.

well, i tried again last night, fell asleep to youtube and not audio bible as i usually do ...had a dream i was getting bit by rattlesnakes many times, but it didn't scare me, if anything I noticed in my dream i wasn't poisoned and more annoyed than scared, when I woke up i didn't feel scared but wondering why I would have such a dream and on a psychological / science level what dreaming of being bit by rattlesnakes means heh. normal people wake up scared, i wake up annoyed and curious -facepalm-
Well that’s progress. First you were scared. I mean, the name of this thread is about fear. Maybe instead, “what is annoyance”?

I’m curious. Do you have dreams about feeling poisoned or invenomated by snakes often?

I’m Mrs Cooper. You came on as Mr E. I forgot to say I’m flattered you went with the same “married title” theme. Did I inspire you?

Reactions: Mr E
Yes, i do feel inspired here, as I've said, i have none to share my experiences with. My emotions tend to be very strong, and that aspect attracts many things to me, both natural and supernatural -ie - i can create unusually close bonds with animals - I looked up what being bit by snakes meant, and on a science level it was on point. - hauntings and the supernatural are amusing and entertaining to me, natural life ...not as much - the supernatural moves stuff, whispers, appears randomly, makes noises -twirls finger- - some people on the other hand arent as amusing.