What exactly are ghosts?

WatcherOfTheNight

Reaction score
As some of you might recall from my introduction post the other week, I'm convinced that I've encountered some kind of supernatural experience in my life, and more than once. I'm becoming more and more convinced by the existence of spirits. But I'm not naturally a "believer", and I have quite a rational mind. So I was wondering if anyone more experienced than me could actually give me a bit of a grounding in ghosts, and what exactly they are.

I don't mean "dead people". I've got that part. But... how are they around us? I've heard them described as energy. Does that mean they will eventually just fizzle out? No energy that I know can sustain itself forever.

How can they make noise, like voices, when they have no vocal chords? No physical body through which to make that sound?

What about 'ectoplasm'? Is that just a work of fiction, or is there genuine evidence for that?

Sorry that this is a lot of questions, but I'm the kind of person who really likes to know how things work, so my belief in ghosts is really bugging me when I can't explain even the basics to myself!

Reactions: ghostkind
I've heard them described as energy. Does that mean they will eventually just fizzle out? No energy that I know can sustain itself forever.
!

actually in physics, the belief is that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, only re-directed...so energy itself is timeless but in a constant state of change.....
the rest I don't know much about, ghosts aren't really my thing...lol.... but im sure someone will be along soon to help out with the other questions.

Reactions: ghostkind
Greetings Watcher!

I'm afraid that you've found yourself in the same dilemma that a lot of people are in. The science of the supernatural is not really understood, yet. There are a lot if theories out there but we can't even get definitive proof that spirits exist much less run tests to determine their make up and nature.

To start with there are several different kinds of hauntings, each with it's own set of behavior and "rules". To make it easier I'll break it down into 3 categories; residual, intelligent and non-human.

A residual is simply a recording. Think of the way that sound waves could be stored in a wax cylinder for playback on a phonograph. This method evolved to vinyl records, then magnetic tape and could also include visual recording. Well what if there are other materials capable of recording the audio and visual of things happening around it. Theories include iron, marble and limestone. These are also elements found in typical haunted locations such prisons, graveyards or lighthouses. Under the right conditions these materials play back sounds or images or both. That disembodied laughing or crying is just a recording. Just like the figure in old style dress that crosses a room and into the part of the wall where a door used to be.

In the case of an intelligent haunting such voices are heard only via EVP (electronic voice phenomena). That is a recording device is left in a room and there are voices recorded that weren't heard at the time of recording. The theory here is that a spirit, as you pointed out, has no vocal cords to vibrate into words, so they have to shape ambient sounds. A lot of investigators will use some sort of white noise generator to give the spirit more sound to work with. Since it's simply the reshaping of background noise ( not sure how that would even work to be honest) you'd be unlikely to hear it with your own ears.

Non-human covers anything that never existed in a physical sense, commonly referred to as Angels or Demons. These beings were "born" in the spirit realm and are much more powerful than a deceased human spirit. How they make vocal sounds is beyond my knowing.

Ectoplasm seems like fiction to me. The concept of ethereal beings with physical leavings doesn't make sense to me and is not something I've experienced myself.

Reactions: Aces and ozentity
A very good question, Watcher. Thank you for putting it out there.

OK, here's my take on some of that, because there is a lot there and this will take thinking overnight to formulate the rest of my answer. :)

Residuals.....let's call that a tape recording and take it out of the equation. It's stored energy and is triggered by who knows what to replay.

I see a great difference between "ghosts" and "spirits". Spirits are those that have crossed over and come back across the veil at times with messages or just to check in on us. Sentient beings who once were humans here on earth.

Ghosts....trapped here on this plane. Could be once human, but the energy is sentient and appears to be stuck here or choosing to stay here.

Demons/Angels/Elementals....all different groups and interdimensional. All sentient begings but have never been human.

How they "use" energy? I'll be back (read in terminator voice. :p)

Whatever they are I don't believe any of our spirits are bad or evil,just how your mortal brain is wired.When we leave our bodies behind we will experience pure love, as our spirit is pure.Evil that haunts people and places are demons or a manifestation of bad things that have happened.Thats my theory anyway.

Whatever they are I don't believe any of our spirits are bad or evil,just how your mortal brain is wired.When we leave our bodies behind we will experience pure love, as our spirit is pure.Evil that haunts people and places are demons or a manifestation of bad things that have happened.Thats my theory anyway.

Whenever people ask me If I believe in ghosts I always tell them the same thing, All of our energy that's inside of us like our soul, thoughts, conscious all of it.. Does It really just go into the ground and cease to exist? I don't think so. When it comes to evil and demons though it tests my theory about all of that though, I remember me and my friends were doing an EVP session at this slaughter house that everyone says people use for satanic worship and rituals. We caught a class A EVP that says "no god here" in a really disturbing voice. Is it just a negative spirit that has experienced bad events in its lifetime? that's the million dollar question.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of the replies! I'll try to respond to as many as I can, but I'm sure I'll miss out a few of them.

actually in physics, the belief is that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, only re-directed...so energy itself is timeless but in a constant state of change.....

Interesting! I evidently didn't pay enough attention while I was in science class! So theoretically they could just be trapped energy, not able to be redirected - say, to an afterlife. But even if that's the case, how could we ever see or hear a ghost, since doesn't it take energy to produce light or noise? Or I suppose in the proper physics sense, don't you need to transfer energy into noise/light?

What about poltergeists? Surely they require energy to actually lift objects? (or are poltergeists a more fantasy concept like ectoplasm?)

Well what if there are other materials capable of recording the audio and visual of things happening around it. Theories include iron, marble and limestone. These are also elements found in typical haunted locations such prisons, graveyards or lighthouses. Under the right conditions these materials play back sounds or images or both. That disembodied laughing or crying is just a recording. Just like the figure in old style dress that crosses a room and into the part of the wall where a door used to be.

That is really interesting! I had never considered that. To be honest, I don't really know how we can capture image or sound on these devices anyway, so I guess I've got no hope in understanding how something could capture that kind of essence. But to be honest, I think I could more easily believe that ghosts are an unthinking recording. It'd explain why a lot of it seems to be repetitive actions, like walking along the top of a castle wall or crying at a grave etc. And I suppose it explains why more modern buildings don't often get claims of haunts, since the original material that may have captured that ghostly essence will have been removed and replaced!

a spirit, as you pointed out, has no vocal cords to vibrate into words, so they have to shape ambient sounds. A lot of investigators will use some sort of white noise generator to give the spirit more sound to work with

Hm, does anyone have any suggestion of how they might shape existing sound? I've seen shows like "Most Haunted" where they interfere with electronics, but I wouldn't know how to do that now! I'd have no hope if I was dead and trying to interefer with technology that didn't exist when I was alive.

I see a great difference between "ghosts" and "spirits". Spirits are those that have crossed over and come back across the veil at times with messages or just to check in on us. Sentient beings who once were humans here on earth.

Ghosts....trapped here on this plane. Could be once human, but the energy is sentient and appears to be stuck here or choosing to stay here.

Yes, a few people seem to be making that distinction, I didn't realise there was one! With that version of ghosts, it sort of makes sense that the number of ghosts isn't increasing massively, since some could theoretically choose that it's ready to leave now, or finish their business here, or whatever else, and then move on. But if spirits are from the afterlife and come to visit (or whatever else), surely their number would only increase, as more and more people die. Does a spirit ever get so old it can't come back?

All of our energy that's inside of us like our soul, thoughts, conscious all of it.. Does It really just go into the ground and cease to exist? I don't think so.

Yeah, I struggle with that thought as well. But then I equally don't like the idea of being stuck around those peopel and places I love and not being able to interract with them. They wouldn't even know I was there, and if they did it would be likely to scare them more than comfort them. In a way, I think I'd rather us just disappear.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Hey Watcher, I see you have a few more questions that I think I can answer.

What about poltergeists? Surely they require energy to actually lift objects? (or are poltergeists a more fantasy

A poltergeist is not actually believed to be a spirit. The theory is that a person, typically a young girl going through puberty, is unconsciously exhibiting telekinetic activity. At times of strong emotional stress they are able to reach out and cause things to move or fall. This causes more stress and the activity gets stronger. For this reason the activity follows a specific person to other locations and will stop if that person can settle their breathing and calm down. It's related to entities such as tulpas, or thought forms. A physical manifestation of the mind. Poltergeists are simply un focused mind forms.

Hm, does anyone have any suggestion of how they might shape existing sound?

I'll admit, this one puzzles me as well. Given that we have no conceptual understanding of how this would work as living beings I doubt it's something that could be figured out simply by going to the afterlife.

Wave propagation, be it light waves, radio waves or sound waves, is simply the transfer of energy through space. A ghost or spirit is a manifestation of energy. My best guess is that they are combining their energy with existing sound waves to create vocalization. Think of a radio transmitter. It is sending out a radio signal that can be picked up by any radio receiver in the area. However, all that comes through is static unless some is actually talking into the transmitter. When the sound of that person's voice is combined with the radio wave that wave actually changes shape. The terms AM and FM stand for Amplitude Modulation and Frequency Modulation, the changes in either frequency or amplitude is caused by adding a voice to the signal.

A friend of mine experienced an apparition whose mouth was moving, as if it were talking, but there was no sound. I believe that had there been equipment present which was sensitive enough to record the ambient sound it would have also recorded whatever this entity was trying to say.

Hopefully I didn't get too technical there. Feel free to ask any questions. I'm pretty new here but so far everyone has been open and helpful.