What Does An Apparition Look Like?

Theo

Reaction score
I ask this because I've heard accounts of people seeing ghosts and can describe every detail or mistake them for a human. The one time I believe myself to have seen a spirit was when I was 8 and it looked strange.

Not so much looking for a explanation to what I saw in the ways of debunking. Just curious.

After moving into a house, I saw a woman walk up the garden path. Blonde hair, white top and jeans. It was clear in regards to it looking human. They turned the corner and walked into the garage. Thing was, their face didn't look right. Like it was smeared. Such as when you take a photo but move your head. Facial features very hard to make out. It also moved very fast but staggered like it was flickering. My parents went on to see this woman pass multipul windows throughout our years in this house (they didn't believe until they saw it). Toys would switch on and go off in the night and sometimes the sound of loud static would fill the house in the early morning but nothing bad. Nothing scary and I never saw it again after that initial time.

Why was she not clear? It must have taken energy to show up like that so why? Just curious to why she looked that way.

I ask this because I've heard accounts of people seeing ghosts and can describe every detail or mistake them for a human. The one time I believe myself to have seen a spirit was when I was 8 and it looked strange.

Not so much looking for a explanation to what I saw in the ways of debunking. Just curious.

After moving into a house, I saw a woman walk up the garden path. Blonde hair, white top and jeans. It was clear in regards to it looking human. They turned the corner and walked into the garage. Thing was, their face didn't look right. Like it was smeared. Such as when you take a photo but move your head. Facial features very hard to make out. It also moved very fast but staggered like it was flickering. My parents went on to see this woman pass multipul windows throughout our years in this house (they didn't believe until they saw it). Toys would switch on and go off in the night and sometimes the sound of loud static would fill the house in the early morning but nothing bad. Nothing scary and I never saw it again after that initial time.

Why was she not clear? It must have taken energy to show up like that so why? Just curious to why she looked that way.
I think you'll hear many different answers to that question, or at least I know I've read many different descriptions of apparitions. They've run the gambit from a solid person who was there one second and gone the next to a barely visible, misty form. The woman you describe reminds me of the "faceless nun" ghost reportedly seen at a small Catholic university in Indiana.

I think you'll hear many different answers to that question, or at least I know I've read many different descriptions of apparitions. They've run the gambit from a solid person who was there one second and gone the next to a barely visible, misty form. The woman you describe reminds me of the "faceless nun" ghost reportedly seen at a small Catholic university in Indiana.
You're right, Duke, and as one who has seen a few, I can tell you that they've varied. I've seen a solid looking Hat Man/shadow person, a mist form, and an actual full out apparition or two that were totally human looking.

Humanoid form; more like a transparent mist and some other features are just hard to make out. I saw what I believed to have been one a long time ago, but I couldn't make out anything other than the overall shape.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I have been watching questions on Yahoo Answers for about as along as they have been going - just to research what people are seeing.
It varies between dark smoky mists that are barely human at all, right up to normal looking people who hold a full conversation.
However there is always something odd that leads the person to question whether it was a real person or not, and thereby makes them question it enough to ask a question about it on Yahoo Answers.
Therefore all questions asked are skewed in favour of it being a spirit. -
The ones where the person cannot tell if it was a spirit or not are very likely to go unreported and not generate questions.

The odd elements that make the person question the encounter are usually -
Dress - they look odd or old fashioned in some way.
Speech - They mention something out of date or place.
Disappearance - the person vanishes in a place that they would be seen, but for some reason they disappear without trace.
Unseen by anyone else - Nobody else sees the same thing as the observer.

This last effect leads me to believe that it is the observer and not the spirit that is in control of the whole effect. People are acting as detectors of this energy and in the same was a dreams can seem real, this may be an overlay effect, or a combination of forced daydream and reality. Only it is not a daydream as it incorporates facts, but uses the same brain mechanism.

I have seen plenty, and they are as real as anyone, but there is still this distinction that it is an image in my head overlayed on the reality I see.
I check the facts and have been accurate on all of them that I can fact check on. The ones past the 1700's are a bit iffy because there are no hard records to go on, but occasionally I get confirmation from archaeological evidence to back it up. Or circumstantial evidence, such as seeing a hanging. - I saw it. There used to be a jail there. It was at the city limits, and hangings were usually conducted outside jails at the city limits. - That kind of thing.

So to sum up - They can look like normal people, but you will only know if they do something odd that makes you question it.

I have been watching questions on Yahoo Answers for about as along as they have been going - just to research what people are seeing.
It varies between dark smoky mists that are barely human at all, right up to normal looking people who hold a full conversation.
However there is always something odd that leads the person to question whether it was a real person or not, and thereby makes them question it enough to ask a question about it on Yahoo Answers.
Therefore all questions asked are skewed in favour of it being a spirit. -
The ones where the person cannot tell if it was a spirit or not are very likely to go unreported and not generate questions.

The odd elements that make the person question the encounter are usually -
Dress - they look odd or old fashioned in some way.
Speech - They mention something out of date or place.
Disappearance - the person vanishes in a place that they would be seen, but for some reason they disappear without trace.
Unseen by anyone else - Nobody else sees the same thing as the observer.

This last effect leads me to believe that it is the observer and not the spirit that is in control of the whole effect. People are acting as detectors of this energy and in the same was a dreams can seem real, this may be an overlay effect, or a combination of forced daydream and reality. Only it is not a daydream as it incorporates facts, but uses the same brain mechanism.

I have seen plenty, and they are as real as anyone, but there is still this distinction that it is an image in my head overlayed on the reality I see.
I check the facts and have been accurate on all of them that I can fact check on. The ones past the 1700's are a bit iffy because there are no hard records to go on, but occasionally I get confirmation from archaeological evidence to back it up. Or circumstantial evidence, such as seeing a hanging. - I saw it. There used to be a jail there. It was at the city limits, and hangings were usually conducted outside jails at the city limits. - That kind of thing.

So to sum up - They can look like normal people, but you will only know if they do something odd that makes you question it.
A good analysis Rowan. I think energy can take many forms. These energies may be all around us and until we can tune in to them they are invisible. It may well be our individual ability to tune into their station that gives us the picture we see. Some people with physic abilities have a really good antenna so to speak. Also these beings may be able to choose their form of appearance.

Reactions: garnetsilver