What did you...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Most kids collect something.
Comic books, animal figurines, rocks, model cars, stamps, coins, baseball cards?

WHAT DID YOU COLLECT AS A KID?

What happened to your collection?
How much might it be worth today?

2g3z1x.jpg

Last edited:

Most kids collect something.
Comic books, animal figurines, rocks, model cars, stamps, coins, baseball cards?

WHAT DID YOU COLLECT AS A KID?

What happened to your collection?
How much might it be worth today?

View attachment 39335
I used to collect crystals as I believed at the time they possessed some sort of healing powers, not so much anymore. It was fun though, I had a special velvet blue bag to keep them safe. I'm unsure what happened to them, though.

I used to collect crystals as I believed at the time they possessed some sort of healing powers, not so much anymore. It was fun though, I had a special velvet blue bag to keep them safe. I'm unsure what happened to them, though.
I love rocks in general. Had a rock collection as a kid, then collected crystals. I did the reverse of you...I didn't believe they could be used as psychic amplifiers...now I do.

I collected football cards at primary school and we used to flick them against a wall with the closest winning the other's cards. I wasn't great at this so ended up losing most of them.

As a youngster, I wrote aircraft manufacturers and the US military services and asked for photos of and information about aircraft. I had an amazing collection, all of which was stored and protected in two very deep drawers in a buffet that had been in my Mom's family for three generations. Years later after my Mom died and my Dad remarried, his new wife decided to pitch "all those old airplane pictures." I don't know the value of the whole collection, but I've seen individual photos/sets of photos I had go for $500 or more on eBay and aviation memorabilia sites.

Back in 2011 as I was retiring, I threw out lots of stuff (pieces of hardware, old tech manuals, aircrew flight gear, test photos, etc.) I'd accumulated with both NASA and the USAF over nearly 33 years. Several years later a former poster here who collected such things told me how much some of that stuff was worth, again on eBay and aviation memorabilia sites. I threw out at least $3000-4000 worth of stuff I decided wasn't worth bringing home.

As a youngster, I wrote aircraft manufacturers and the US military services and asked for photos of and information about aircraft. I had an amazing collection, all of which was stored and protected in two very deep drawers in a buffet that had been in my Mom's family for three generations. Years later after my Mom died and my Dad remarried, his new wife decided to pitch "all those old airplane pictures." I don't know the value of the whole collection, but I've seen individual photos/sets of photos I had go for $500 or more on eBay and aviation memorabilia sites.

Back in 2011 as I was retiring, I threw out lots of stuff (pieces of hardware, old tech manuals, aircrew flight gear, test photos, etc.) I'd accumulated with both NASA and the USAF over nearly 33 years. Several years later a former poster here who collected such things told me how much some of that stuff was worth, again on eBay and aviation memorabilia sites. I threw out at least $3000-4000 worth of stuff I decided wasn't worth bringing home.
Ohhh, that's gotta hurt!

Ohhh, that's gotta hurt!
The loss of the stuff I had as a kid really bothered me because of the memories I associated with collecting them. The stuff from my career I felt bad about throwing out because I eventually realized how much it would have meant to collectors. I probably would have given most of it away to guys like Tony who would have truly appreciated it.

Mr. Garnet told me about owning the complete set of Wizard of Oz books, when he was a child, which would have been worth quite a bit today. His sister in law decided to spring clean and threw them all out. She is one of my least favorite persons.