We saw it coming this time....

In 2017 I found the Nasa Near Earth Object program was tracking an object the size of a tower block that was predicted to be a 50/50 chance of hitting us. They tracked it in - gave an approximate landing area of southern Australia, then 3 hours before possible impact - Nasa went quiet.

No more tracks - no more info.

Until about 2 hours after it should have hit when they published the good news that it missed and everyone is all ok. It passed between us and our moon - That's pretty close!

- So just because Nasa is keeping tabs on them do not think for one minute that they would actually tell us if one was heading our way. It will just all go quiet as they head down to the shelters.

- Perseid meteor shower -regular as clockwork, one of them will hit us eventually.

The Perseids are the size of a grain of sand, at most the size of a pea, if you believe the pop culture astronomy types you hear on TV and radio.

The Perseids are the size of a grain of sand, at most the size of a pea, if you believe the pop culture astronomy types you hear on TV and radio.
From the article...

An asteroid the size of a refrigerator

From the article...

An asteroid the size of a refrigerator

I have no doubt there are asteroids that size and hundreds of times larger, but Rowan was talking about the Perseid meteor showers at the end of his post. That's what I was commenting on. I didn't see the Perseids mentioned in the original article as posted, assume the comment about the Perseids was his own.

Reactions: Lynne
I have no doubt there are asteroids that size and hundreds of times larger, but Rowan was talking about the Perseid meteor showers at the end of his post. That's what I was commenting on. I didn't see the Perseids mentioned in the original article as posted, assume the comment about the Perseids was his own.
Thanks for clearing up my fog. ;):p

Reactions: Lynne and Duke
We need to harden our electrical grid before we get hit.