We remember...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU HEARD? WHAT DID YOU FEEL? WHAT DID YOU DO?

upload_2018-9-10_23-5-53.jpeg

I was working nights so I was sleeping. I remember my hubby waking me to the news. It was a total shock to my reality. I think our world changed that day. For Americans , I think we don’t feel safe anymore.

Reactions: Charleh
I was in Vancouver, BC. I was 6. Grade 1. Next Monday morning in class all our teacher said was “so if you’re planning on going on vacation anytime soon, don’t take the plane because one flew into a tower.” She said it with a lot of apathy.......

Next day in Vancouver we were by Metrotown Center and we sat by a bunch of protesters speaking against the war in Iraq. Wasn’t until grade 6 when I made the connection between the Iraq war and 9/11. I was a sheltered kid so...... and in my teens I met a lot of veterans who told me a lot of stories on what went down. There’s lots you don’t hear on the news.

Reactions: Paintman
I was in the middle of the Waterford Crystal Factory tour in Ireland. There was an Australian on the tour with a transistor radio who suddenly said, "Bloody Hell, the Yanks are under attack." The tour guide got one of the employees to take four or five us from the US who wanted to leave back to reception. I went immediately to my rental car and grabbed my small Grundig SW band radio, and I was able to listen to the live coverage on VoA, as well as the BBC and Irish radio.

I happened to be at home for the morning and not scheduled to go into work until noon. I watched as the second plane went into the tower live as Katie and Matt reported in disbelieve. I then grabbed the phone and called work to be sure my elderly patients had the social worker ready to help people. The nursing home I worked in was on the second floor of a hospital. After I called my husband at work, I dressed and rushed out the door and as I drove into town I heard about the Pentagon. From there I entered the hospital. Hospitals are known to be quiet places, but this was a stillness like nothing I have heard before. I could feel the terror within each person but you coud hear a pin drop.

A meeting had been called to put emergency protocols on standby in case of wide spread attack. We had a large screen TV in our lounge area for the residents, and we had employees in and out watching all day. I also had a button maker and within 2 days had made 2,000 buttons that had various scenes and sayings of We will not forget. Those were sold for $1 and the proceeds went later to the survivor's fund.

At supper time that day, everyone was so deep in shock we needed to do something. I gathered together our staff and asked who knew the words to God Bless America. I didn't know them all....since that day, I have learned them and will never forget them. We had a piano, an aide that could play, and someone to lead the singing. I followed it with a prayer.

What the residents and patients didn't see was a staff so scared we hugged each other promising if it came to all out war and bombs started falling we would be there for each other.

It was a dark day for our country. But we as Americans UNITED showed our finest selves and souls.

Reactions: Paintman and TonyM
I was working in Glasgow when a colleague came into the server room and said a plane had flown into a building in New York. We fired up a radio and within minutes of listening we decided to cut work short for the day and head home, I think it was early afternoon. My partner had the TV on watching events happening live and as I joined the second tower hadn't been hit so we watched that unfold as well as both towers collapsing, being shocked just doesn't describe the emotion. We watched well into the night our time and I abandoned any thought of the work the following day.

I can't remember how long after 9/11 but within a couple of days a hastily arranged meet / rally / I'm not sure what to call it was arranged for George Square in the centre of Glasgow to show solidarity with the American people which I and my partner attended. The US consul made a speech and the crew of an American airline stranded with the groundings had a huge amount of polite applause as they made their way to the stage area, most of the flight attendants were in tears as were many in the crowd of people who had gathered. The sense of solidarity and sympathy was tangible.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
THE CATHOLIC WHO LED THE CHARGE ON 9/11 PLANE
Spirit Daily - Daily spiritual news from around the world

The widow of Flight 93 hero Thomas Burnett says her husband was a devout Catholic who had premonitions of the fate that met him and 44 others on the fateful day of September 11, 2001 -- including a hunch his life would not be a long one and that his mission in life would somehow involve the White House.

It is now widely believed the hijacked plane, which crashed into a rural part of western Pennsylvania, was aimed at the White House, the CIA, or the U.S. Capitol before passengers led by Burnett overpowered the al Qaeda operatives.

Spirit Daily - Daily spiritual news from around the world

I was at work, it was a very nice, unseasonably cool day for us, actual autumn weather... I got a phone call as soon as the first plane hit. we turned the tv on in the office and were glued to the screen the rest of the day, I got in touch with some friends from the past and caught up on current happenings... many mixed emotions and feelings., just a very surreal time.

Reactions: Debi and Charleh