Viking Treasure revealed

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The largest hoard of Viking treasure ever found in Britain has now been revealed to the world

The largest hoard of Viking treasure ever found in Britain has now been revealed to the world. In total, there are about 100 intricate pieces, dating to about the 9th and 10th centuries. These rare artifacts were found in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, by Derek McLennan, a metal detectorist.

When McLennan, 47, found the hoard in September 2014, he called his wife with the news of the discovery and was so emotional that she thought he had been in a car accident. He had been painstakingly searching an unidentified area of Church of Scotland land in Dumfries and Galloway for more than a year. McLennan is no stranger to finding treasure. He had been part of a group that discovered more than 300 medieval silver coins shortly before Christmas in 2013.

Reverend Doctor David Bartholomew, a Church of Scotland minister of a rural Galloway charge, and Mike Smith, the pastor of an Elim Pentecostal Church in Galloway were with McLennan when he made the find.

“We were searching elsewhere when Derek [McLennan] initially thought he’d discovered a Viking gaming piece.” Rev. Dr. Bartholomew recalled of that moment. “A short time later, he ran over to us waving a silver arm-ring and shouting, ‘Viking!’.”

Now, two years after their discovery and 1,000 years after their burial, the artifacts have been revealed. A silver brooch from Ireland, silk from modern-day Turkey, gold and silver ingots, a bird-shaped pin, crystal, and silver arm-rings are just a few of the items found. Interestingly, the oval shape of the arm-rings suggest that they were actually worn before they were buried.

Full story with pics at site

I've always been tempted to get a metal detector. Stories like this remind me to buy one lol
No has ever used a metal detector in my area and google earth shows a lot of ancient foundations that you can't see on the ground. Tempting very tempting:lightbulb:

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
I've always been tempted to get a metal detector. Stories like this remind me to buy one lol
No has ever used a metal detector in my area and google earth shows a lot of ancient foundations that you can't see on the ground. Tempting very tempting:lightbulb:
Our member T-Bob is a pro at the metal detector. Being an archaeologist helps, too, but he says it's immense fun!

Reactions: Lynne and Calum
I will get one its just a matter of when.
We have large flat sandy beaches here which I think would be a good place to learn how to use it properly before heading out onto the moors.

I've also seen vids on youtube of people magnet fishing lol sounds ridiculous, but hundreds of lochs around and a history of people throwing offerings in. Could worth a go :) (need to google if gold & silver are attracted to magnets)

Reactions: Debi