USS Ronald Reagan UFO Sighting

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score

A long, but well written article. There are some obvious disconnects between the interviewed witnesses, and it seems very odd the date of the event can't be pinpointed more than within a six month window, but overall the event narrative seems solid and corroborated by the witnesses.

The fact the ship's officers and senior NCOs were not concerned tells me this was a planned event, perhaps an operational test of some type. The plasma laser system discussed as a possible explanation makes sense to me. It also matches up with my "spoofing" theories relative to the phenomena reported by F-18 aircrew around the same time.

Far more interesting to me is the accusation subordinates were ordered to remove/omit deck log entries. Deck logs are official documents, directing they be altered or destroyed is serious stuff. If these crewmembers were ordered to doctor them, such a decision would have had to be made way up the chain of command. Further evidence to me what took place was a test of some highly classified technology.

"Ball lightning" -- Ozzy Osbourne

Seriously, I wonder if it could be a variation of St. Elmo's fire?

Reactions: Selectric

A long, but well written article. There are some obvious disconnects between the interviewed witnesses, and it seems very odd the date of the event can't be pinpointed more than within a six month window, but overall the event narrative seems solid and corroborated by the witnesses.

The fact the ship's officers and senior NCOs were not concerned tells me this was a planned event, perhaps an operational test of some type. The plasma laser system discussed as a possible explanation makes sense to me. It also matches up with my "spoofing" theories relative to the phenomena reported by F-18 aircrew around the same time.

Far more interesting to me is the accusation subordinates were ordered to remove/omit deck log entries. Deck logs are official documents, directing they be altered or destroyed is serious stuff. If these crewmembers were ordered to doctor them, such a decision would have had to be made way up the chain of command. Further evidence to me what took place was a test of some highly classified technology.
When my nephew was in the coast guard they saw what seemed to be a star that suddenly came close and got big, hung around long enough for a lot of people, including their captain to watch it before it zipped off. The captain said, "there will be no reports. No one saw anything." It is standard for his statement as there are too many forms and inquirys as well as careers are ruined by reports like that.

Reactions: Lynne and Selectric
When my nephew was in the coast guard they saw what seemed to be a star that suddenly came close and got big, hung around long enough for a lot of people, including their captain to watch it before it zipped off. The captain said, "there will be no reports. No one saw anything." It is standard for his statement as there are too many forms and inquirys as well as careers are ruined by reports like that.
Fear of reporting UFOs in the military is an interesting topic, and one I have a good deal of experience with as well. In a near 35 year career (NASA/USAF/DoD), I asked hundreds of both former and current USAF pilots about seeing UFOs. That number is probably over a thousand if I include aircrew other than pilots (EWOs, navigators, flight engineers, loadmasters, boom operators, gunners, etc.) and aircrew from the other US military services. I also talked to a handful of NASA pilots (including Neil Armstrong) and a few pilots from both the RAF and RN.

I'd estimate no more than 20% admitted seeing anything while airborne they could not identify. Most were visual, some on radar. Less than half that number filed reports, either officially or unofficially. Many of those who did file did so using their individual service's flight safety reporting system designed to keep tabs on, and if necessary investigate, flight safety events such as near misses and violations of air traffic regulations.

Of those who filed reports, not one mentioned any repercussions having done so.

Reactions: JahaRa and Lynne
"Ball lightning" -- Ozzy Osbourne

Seriously, I wonder if it could be a variation of St. Elmo's fire?
I wondered about both ball lightning and St Elmo's fire as well. The latter I eliminated almost immediately as it's a very well known phenomena among sailors and seafarers going back to ancient times. In fact the name of the phenomena comes from a patron saint of sailors. Had the Reagan crew seen St Elmo's fire, I think it would have been readily identified as such. No need to hide seeing it by criminially altering or omitting deck logs entries.

Ball lighting is a much rarer phenomenon, and there's a good chance no one aboard the Reagan would have ever seen it before. In that case, you'd think the officers and senior NCOs would have been as mesmerized by it as were the junior enlisted witnesses in the article. The fact they did not react when they saw it leads me to believe it was something they were familiar with and/or forewarned about, and probably ordered not to report.