Unexplained visit

Lonewolf

Reaction score
I would like to share an experience I had several years ago that left me somewhat scared and totally confused. The encounter was brief and is still a mystery.

It happened on a cold winter night shortly after midnight 5 or 6 years ago. My girlfriend and I lived in a trailer home out in the county. To conserve heating fuel we would hang a blanket at the end of the hallway. Her and I and our two dogs slept in the bedroom located in the back of the house. Sharon had gone to bed early and was sleeping soundly when I came to bed. I dozed off quickly but not for long. We both woke to the aggressive barks of our small but protective chihuahua (Chica) and our much larger pit bull mix (Riker). Chica was running down the log hallway and Riker stayed by the bed barking aggressively.

As I jumped out of bed I grabbed a flashlight and a knife from my nightstand. Chica was about halfway down the hallway and going crazy barking and growling. Then we heard a loud thump that sounded like something hit the outer door. I started down the hallway and heard the front door open. I was sure I had locked the door but still it had opened. It was a tight fitting door and sound of it opening is unmistakable. I felt a cold chill in the hallway which at the time didn't seem to surprise me because it was cold out and the door was opened. With the blanket at the end of the hallway I couldn't see much but I saw what appeared to be the beam of a flashlight through the gap at the top and sides of the blanket. The beam moved around the ceiling a bit then on the wall then around the floor.

Wishing I had more than a knife in my hand I shouted asking who was there. No answer. I yelled again telling whoever was out there that I was armed and they needed to identify themselves. The light on the other side of the blanket was pointed directly at the center of the blanket. Much brighter than I thought a flashlight would but I yelled one more time and somehow got the courage and rushed to the end of the hall and pulled the blanket to the side and quickly shined my light around the dark room. Both dogs immediately stopped barking.

Nothing was there. Everything looked as it did when I headed to bed. The door that we had heard open only a moment ago was closed and locked. I ran to the kitchen and looked out the window and there were no tracks in the driveway. It had snowed lightly earlier in the evening so if a car had been there it would be easy to tell. I went to the front door and unlocked it and stepped out in the porch. Nothing looked out of place. The outer door was closed but not locked as usual. Stepping outside I saw no tracks other than my own and the two dogs I let out just before going to bed.

Sharon and I looked at each other with a confused look. With her phone in hand she was right behind me and she heard and saw exactly what I saw. She felt the same chill which without the door actually opening could not have been a rush of cold winter air as we originally thought. She had dialed 911 as we were coming down the hallway but she hadn't pressed send yet. She asked if she should call and report it. Report what? There was nothing physical to see now. No tracks, no sign of any entry. Just sound and light.

We stayed up for another hour or so and talked about what just happened or didn't happen. By now I was confused but oddly calm. We went back to bed and the dogs were already sleeping quietly cuddled up as usual. I drifted off to sleep and slept through the night without interruption. Sharon said it took her a while to get back to sleep but eventually the sound of my snoring comforted her and she drifted off.

We don't tell that story to many people because when we do we just get strange looks and jokes about smoking something. I had smoked a couple hits of weed before going to be but she didn't smoke. I've never had audio or visual hallucinations from smoking pot but if I had been alone I would have written it off as a bad batch. The dogs were the ones that alerted us so they must have heard something.

Someone suggested that it must have been headlights flashing from a passing car. Not likely. This is a rural area on a dead end gravel road with no side streets. Nothing like this before or since then. Even if the lights could be easily explained, the sounds cannot. I am curious what others think we may have experienced.

Wow that had to be scary. Can I ask if you had any missing time? It sure sounds like some entity or being opened a portal in your house. Sounds like they came in for a reason. Perhaps your confrontation stopped the advance. There seems to be some spiritual laws the paranormal have to follow. Permission to be involved in our space seems to be needed in many cases when resisted with firm intention or prayer, they leave. However this is not in every case. Often people are abducted and have no memory and missing time is the only indication. Can you remember anything about how things were after the event in the next few days?

Reactions: garnetsilver
Wow that had to be scary. Can I ask if you had any missing time? It sure sounds like some entity or being opened a portal in your house. Sounds like they came in for a reason. Perhaps your confrontation stopped the advance. There seems to be some spiritual laws the paranormal have to follow. Permission to be involved in our space seems to be needed in many cases when resisted with firm intention or prayer, they leave. However this is not in every case. Often people are abducted and have no memory and missing time is the only indication. Can you remember anything about how things were after the event in the next few days?

Hello Lynne. I don't believe there was any noticeable time missing. After the event everything seemed to be "normal". When you mentioned portal it remained me of a more recent event. Not much of an event but enough to make me wonder. I still own the home but I moved a short distance away to help a family member. I will eventually be moving back so I check on the place from time to time. Last fall I started spending time there working on some small projects. One evening I was working on something at my current place and I needed some of my tools that I had left at my vacant home. I drove over to get the tools and it was already dark out so I had to use a flashlight. The flashlight is one of those with the headband and is an extremely bright LED. I was looking around the room grabbing the tools I needed and as the beam of light went down the hallway, a thought popped into mind. Did I just visit myself in the past? I hadn't thought of that cold night long ago in quite some time and saw nothing on this night to tie the two together other than flashlight beam shining as I looked around the room. I wrote it off as an overactive imagination and hadn't thought about it since. It may be as simple as that but it's good keep an open mind. I'm finding more and more that just because i don't understand something that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Wolf, this is an interesting experience. Have you thought it may have been UFO related? Just a thought, as my UFO encounter also included a bright light.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Wolf, this is an interesting experience. Have you thought it may have been UFO related? Just a thought, as my UFO encounter also included a bright light.
Hello Debi. The thought has crossed my mind. With no tracks in the fresh snow and nothing to indicated there was anything out of the ordinary. The dogs were startled by something, we both heard and saw something yet it all stopped so suddenly once I entered the room. I was fully expecting to see a burglar there and I would not have been surprised if I had been hit with something as I entered. I do believe if I'd had a gun rather than a knife, I may have taken a shot through the blanket and low to startle whoever was there. I was anticipating the bright light blinding me as I entered but with knife in hand and flashlight ready to distract the intruder there was nothing to defend against. Just a dark quiet room.

For some reason the thought of a UFO encounter scares me more than other possibilities. Thanks for the input.

Hello Debi. The thought has crossed my mind. With no tracks in the fresh snow and nothing to indicated there was anything out of the ordinary. The dogs were startled by something, we both heard and saw something yet it all stopped so suddenly once I entered the room. I was fully expecting to see a burglar there and I would not have been surprised if I had been hit with something as I entered. I do believe if I'd had a gun rather than a knife, I may have taken a shot through the blanket and low to startle whoever was there. I was anticipating the bright light blinding me as I entered but with knife in hand and flashlight ready to distract the intruder there was nothing to defend against. Just a dark quiet room.

For some reason the thought of a UFO encounter scares me more than other possibilities. Thanks for the input.
Yes, it scared me, too. I did not have an ET encounter, but the light from what I saw was blinding. That's why I mentioned it.

That was very interesting and makes me think a lot. Those two possibilities, UFO or time shift gives much food for thought. And Debi, could you post a link to your UFO encounter?

Reactions: Lynne and Lonewolf
Lonewolf that’s a clever possibility ? Do you think your partner and dog would have expierenced it too in that case? Maybe so. It’s thought provoking for sure. Becareful if you go back to stay there.

Last edited:
Thanks! I remember reading this, now. It was awhile back so I forgot how amazing a story that was.

Reactions: Lynne