Unexplained Sightings As A Child

Theo

Reaction score
There are two experiences that stand out to me that I have tried to explain for many years.

The first one I don't remember personally but it's a story many family members have told me. It always the same story. When I was about two years old I had suffered from chest infections for most of my life (thanks to the damp, old house). Well I started mentioning a man in a hat in the corner of my room. My mum ignored me, assuming it was an imaginary friend. Then they started hearing footsteps on the roof that I told them bluntly was the skeletons on the roof dancing. Again, my mum ignored me. However, after a week of this happening and me staying up every night talking and laughing loudly to nothing, she went to tell me off. However, when she entered the room, she was overwhelmed by the smell of burning pine. So much so it made her sick. Apparently I smiled, pointed to a corner (my mum saw nothing) and said "that's the man". My mum grabbed me and left the room. Thing is, after that, I never mentioned the skeletons or the man in the hat again. My chest infection also cleared up for the first time in a long time.

The second experience is something I remember which really puts me at unease. Between about 4 and 8 (from what I can remember) I used to see a figure in the reflection of my tv (the old ones with reflective screens). It was always at the doorway of my living room just seemingly watching. It happened in diffrent rooms downstairs and only when my parents left me alone to go nap. It had no features that I can remember, it was like a dark mass in the shape of a man stood in the doorway. It never moved, I can remember watching it for what must have been a few seconds and it never moved. Even when we moved house, I can remember looking to the doorway and getting sad that it was not there. I never saw it past 8. Aside from once in my drive when I was about 9 (diffrent house). It happened so often that even now when I look in an old tv, for a moment I expect to see it. I never felt frightened or at unease. I can't even remember feeling worried, it was just something that happened.

All in all, I'm just wondering what this was? I think if it was anything, it was good, maybe looking out for me. It's something that I have carried for a long time and I just wondered if anyone could shed some light. Even if it is just letting me know I'm not nuts.

Hi Theo, and you're not nuts. This is an entity called the Hatman. I have a son who also has had several encounters with him. There is a lot of controversy over who/what this is. Heidi Hollis has had personal experiences with it and wrote several books on it. You will also find many paranormal podcasts that talk about this entity. Theories abound on it, but we simply don't know exactly what it is...which is like most things of a paranormal nature. But no, you are not crazy!

When you say you wonder if it was good and looking out for you that got my attention as I wonder if scary is often just to try and get help rather then trying to harm. THEY CAN'T HARM YOU only make you harm yourself. I wonder about intentions whenever someone tells me about their experiences as it may be giving you something positive in all.

When you say you wonder if it was good and looking out for you that got my attention as I wonder if scary is often just to try and get help rather then trying to harm. THEY CAN'T HARM YOU only make you harm yourself. I wonder about intentions whenever someone tells me about their experiences as it may be giving you something positive in all.
Being we don’t know what these things are, I don’t think we can assume anything about them. I’m not convinced they can’t harm us.

Hi Theo. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

There are two experiences that stand out to me that I have tried to explain for many years.

The first one I don't remember personally but it's a story many family members have told me. It always the same story. When I was about two years old I had suffered from chest infections for most of my life (thanks to the damp, old house). Well I started mentioning a man in a hat in the corner of my room. My mum ignored me, assuming it was an imaginary friend. Then they started hearing footsteps on the roof that I told them bluntly was the skeletons on the roof dancing. Again, my mum ignored me. However, after a week of this happening and me staying up every night talking and laughing loudly to nothing, she went to tell me off. However, when she entered the room, she was overwhelmed by the smell of burning pine. So much so it made her sick. Apparently I smiled, pointed to a corner (my mum saw nothing) and said "that's the man". My mum grabbed me and left the room. Thing is, after that, I never mentioned the skeletons or the man in the hat again. My chest infection also cleared up for the first time in a long time.

The second experience is something I remember which really puts me at unease. Between about 4 and 8 (from what I can remember) I used to see a figure in the reflection of my tv (the old ones with reflective screens). It was always at the doorway of my living room just seemingly watching. It happened in diffrent rooms downstairs and only when my parents left me alone to go nap. It had no features that I can remember, it was like a dark mass in the shape of a man stood in the doorway. It never moved, I can remember watching it for what must have been a few seconds and it never moved. Even when we moved house, I can remember looking to the doorway and getting sad that it was not there. I never saw it past 8. Aside from once in my drive when I was about 9 (diffrent house). It happened so often that even now when I look in an old tv, for a moment I expect to see it. I never felt frightened or at unease. I can't even remember feeling worried, it was just something that happened.

All in all, I'm just wondering what this was? I think if it was anything, it was good, maybe looking out for me. It's something that I have carried for a long time and I just wondered if anyone could shed some light. Even if it is just letting me know I'm not nuts.

Hi Theo, welcome and thanks for sharing! I don’t believe you’re crazy, I believe every word you’ve written. Those are very interesting experiences you had. I agree with Debi that you’ve had a Hatman encounter. Im glad you don’t have any more visits from it/them as they’re not know to be friendly. I believe the “Hatman” isn’t 1 entity, but a class of demons that look like they’re wearing a hat. We simply can’t see them clearly beyond the shadow appearance. I Believe there are too many sightings all over the place for it to be 1 entity.

I've had encounters with the Hatman twice,for a while I thought he had come to warn me of bad things to come,I now believe he may be a harbinger of doom as apposed to a guardian Angel looking out for you.It is just too sinister looking to be good.Welcome to the forum Theo,I'd say you are not nuts but open to the paranormal.Sometimes this ability comes and goes,sometimes it stays,everyone's different.

Hello, Theo! Welcome to the forums! What I found particularly interesting was the part where you said that your room was filled with the smell of burning pine, and that after that you felt better. It makes me wonder if whatever was in your room administered to your illness!

Reactions: ozentity and Fizz
Friday evening at 10 PM eastern, we will be listening to a program about Hatman/shadow people. If you can't catch the show with us on Live Chat, do grab the link and listen when you have a chance. I will post the link tomorrow morning on the live chat thread.

Reactions: ozentity and Fizz