Understanding Realities Beyond Our Own

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Of interest from the article:

Each organism presumably assumes its umwelt to be the entirety of objective reality. Until a child learns that honeybees enjoy ultraviolet signals and rattlesnakes see infrared, it is not obvious that plenty of information is riding on channels to which we have no natural access. In fact, the part of the electromagnetic spectrum visible to us is less than a ten-trillionth of it. Our sensorium is enough to get by in our ecosystem, but no better.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric
"Our senses provide us with an experience of the world that feels complete, it feels total, it feels like we’re perceiving all there is to perceive. It doesn’t feel like there are gaps in our experience of the world to be filled, but those gaps absolutely exist" (quote from article). That is not entirely true. There are others that also feel there are things beyond are normal senses. We already feel those gaps and that they exist.

some of this though isnt beyond the human level, it has just been lost to humans due to advancements and ways of life/living... if you go into the wilderness for an extended time, your sense of hearing, smell, sight etc... will increase. you will become more aware of your surroundings and environment. we cover our scents, and use artificial smells which has limited our use of the real world. (of course while killing our own ability to "see" the world through smell, we at the same time try to use false pheromones to enhance other areas of our lives... (and those false pheromones/smells arent even from our own species.... mind boggling...lol)
i wonder if 50-100 years from now this question/theory will be stated about the real world because everyone has become so engrossed in the digital world of augmented reality and A.I ?
a lot of this isnt beyond us, its just weve forgotten.....( could "abilities" or "gifts" be a by-product / cause, of being more in touch with this side of life than the average person???. could "feeling" or reading someone be because of a scent or vibration they are putting out???.......just me rambling....lol)

it has just been lost to humans due to advancements and ways of life/living... if you go into the wilderness for an extended time, your sense of hearing, smell, sight etc... will increase.
I agree with that. Depending on environment changes or people changes we pick back up on stuff naturally. Zeke doesn't bathe for a few weeks...we know. Zeke decides to sport an entire bottle of cologne...oh yes...we know lol. You definitely pick up more when out in the wilderness or anywhere free of human influence. Perhaps not every time, but most of the time it feels normal in a primal sense i guess you could say.