UFO over Mesa

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

A couple in Arizona were left scratching their heads this past weekend when they spotted a mysterious series of lights in the night sky. The intriguing sighting, which wound up garnering attention from a local newscast, occurred on Sunday evening in the city of Mesa. Witnesses DJ Maier and Kerri Burnett say that the strange incident began when they noticed an inordinately bright light that suddenly began moving diagonally across the sky.

"I was trying to figure out which way it was heading," Burnett recalled, "and that's when we noticed it started dropping things from it." Fortunately, the couple were able to film the odd event as it unfolded and, in their footage, a series of smaller lights can indeed be seen falling from the object in a manner somewhat reminiscent of flares. As is to be expected in this day and age, the couple promptly posted their video to Facebook, but found that no one could explain what they had seen.

Aviation experts who examined the footage for TV station KNXV suggested that the 'UFO' was some kind of terrestrial aircraft that was likely dropping parachute flares. Be that as it may, Maier wasn't convinced of that explanation, noting that "there were no navigation lights. Even the military has to have navigation lights on. That's an FAA rule." As such, he offered a slightly more out-of-this-world explanation for what the couple had caught on camera. "I know what I saw," he mused, "and I don't think it was from here." With that in mind, what's your take on what Maier and Burnett witnessed?

Those are not flares, they burn out too quickly.

I would be interested to see an extended video to determine what happened to the "orb." If it dimmed before eventually fading out, then that would indicate a Chinese lantern. The smaller lights could then be explained as pieces of the lantern or its frame catching fire and falling away, then disappearing as they are consumed. We saw that happen with the home made lanterns (dry cleaning bag, birthday candles, and plastic drink straws) we made back in the 70s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Mysterious lights hovering over Mesa skies puzzle residents

"There were no navigation lights. Even the military has to have navigation lights on. That's an FAA rule," said Maier.

ABC15 reached out to the Federal Aviation Administration, Luke Air Force Base and the Army National Guard, but none could say for certain what it was."

It never seemed to catch fire in the slightest.

Mysterious lights hovering over Mesa skies puzzle residents

"There were no navigation lights. Even the military has to have navigation lights on. That's an FAA rule," said Maier.

ABC15 reached out to the Federal Aviation Administration, Luke Air Force Base and the Army National Guard, but none could say for certain what it was."

It never seemed to catch fire in the slightest.

He's wrong about the FAA "rule" requiring military a/c to display navigation lights. There are a number of MOAs where military aircraft fly lights out frequently to practice with NVGs. The news clip mentioned the sighting occurred near an MOA, but in this case it's probably not relevant since that is not a conventional aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne