TV Series Reboots and Spinoffs

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
In television, at least in the US, there has been a trend to reboot an old series (MacGyver, Hawaii 5-0, The Equalizer, etc), or spinoff a new series (NCIS, Better Call Saul, etc.) from an established series. What are your best and worst all time reboots and spinoffs?

Reactions: Debi
The equalizer reboot was awful. Queen Latina was not convincing.

Reactions: ozentity
I can't think of a single series reboot I thought was worth watching, at least aside from a few game shows. The worst were the four "Odd Couple" reboots, including an animated series.

There have been many great spinoffs, some better than the programs they spunoff from. My two favorites are NCIS (spinoff from JAG) and Lou Grant (spinoff from the Mary Tyler Moore Show.) The most disappointing for me was AfterMASH, while the worst was the Gloria spinoff from All in the Family.

'The Lone Gunmen' was a spinoff from the X-Files that only aired for a single season in '01 and it continued the adventures of Frohike, Langley and Byers from the series. While I liked it personally, it likely lacked star power of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson from the X-Files itself and didn't fare well in the ratings and was cancelled after a few episodes. The X-Files itself was revived in 2016 and ran an additional two seasons and featured the return of most of the original series cast.

While Anderson herself said she won't make a return for possible future episodes, Duchovny said he's in if there will be more and can't see himself as walking away from the series.

it likely lacked star power of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson from the X-Files
In fairness, so did the X-Files for a while. I never saw the Lone Gunmen, but I actually thought the X-Files was still okay while they weren't in it but crashed when they came back. Oh well. I think I care more about the writing than the stars.

'Mork calling Orsen, Mork calling Orsen, come in Orsen.... Yo! Your fatness!'
Surely, Mork and Mindy is the best spin-off series? If you forgot, Mork first appeared in Happy Days!
BENWAYYYYYYY! HIYA!!!!!!!MISS U !!!!!!

Reactions: Benway
In television, at least in the US, there has been a trend to reboot an old series (MacGyver, Hawaii 5-0, The Equalizer, etc), or spinoff a new series (NCIS, Better Call Saul, etc.) from an established series. What are your best and worst all time reboots and spinoffs?
We have stolen quite a few series from the U.K,among other countries...The Office being one.I think Sanford and Son was a remake too....it seldom works in my opinion

Reactions: Benway
In fairness, so did the X-Files for a while. I never saw the Lone Gunmen, but I actually thought the X-Files was still okay while they weren't in it but crashed when they came back. Oh well. I think I care more about the writing than the stars.
Dude, I know I am stepping out on a limb here. The two original principles in The X-Files had chemistry. You could see it on the TV screen. But the second X-Files Duo was absolutely perfect. Somebody hit a homerun putting those two together.

Reactions: garnetsilver