TV Paranormal

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
THE NEW SHOWS ARE COMING OUT AND MANY THEY ARE IN THE PARANORMAL ARENA. DO YOU WATCH ANY? WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITES?

DO YOU WATCH FOR THE FUN OF IT OR TAKE THEM MORE AS SERIOUS VENTURES TO DISCOVER THE TRUTH? HAVE YOU LEARNED ANYTHING FROM THEM THAT YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW? SEE ANYTHING THAT STANDS OUT AS PROOF TO YOU?

LET'S TALK THOSE TV SHOWS AND THE HOSTS OF THEM.

Reactions: Paintman
I think that these shows are designed for mass appeal and have only one purpose. And that is to expose people to advertising. That is the only truth here. Imho, genuine knowledge of things paranormal comes from a sincere desire to learn about the nature of consciousness and one's relationship to the universe all within the context of being able to think about these phenomena critically. Not a single one of these shows meets that criteria.

I watch a few of them, more for entertainment than learning. "these woods are haunted " just started a new season a couple weeks ago and has had a few good stories so far, as for the accuracy or validity of these shows I don't know. the networks change and add to the stories to make them more presentable or to fit their needs.... as far as hosts, I do watch most of josh gates' shows... hes cool and a little more believable.

There are some decent ones that do offer a modicum of educational matter. The Holzer Files stands at the top of that list, for one. Not a bad show. Some are simply too ridicules to watch, but if you pick and choose there can be some things learned from them...in most cases what NOT to do...lol

I will give them credit for bringing the paranormal into the mainstream conversation. Years ago if you talked about the topic you were considered the nut down the street or the crazy witch woman. Now it is much more accepted and a lot of that is from the popularity of these shows. I'll give credit where credit is due.

Reactions: garnetsilver
The only one I watched was "Ghost Hunters," and then only when they were "investigating" a site/facility I had an interest in. In addition to that show putting the paranormal in mainstream conversations, it also kick started ghost hunting as an industry.

Particularly interesting to me was how GH became the template for all the wannabes who formed their own investigative teams. Having gone with my daughter and her friends to a number of the big name investigation sites in the Midwest, I was amused how groups we'd meet cloned the TAPS guys. They'd introduce themselves with their team "titles" (co--lead investigator, historical researcher, tech manager, case manager, control central coordinator, etc.), have team tshirts, have the same gear, and use the same jargon as the TAPS guys. One group we meet at Mansfield told us they were both paranormal researchers and storage locker buyers, they picked up both fads that were hot at the time.

I should add I really loved "Mountain Monsters." Of course the series was fake, but I tuned in to see what kind of ingenious trap Willie and Wild Bill would develop to not catch the monster du jour. Some of the contraptions they developed put Acme to shame. I'd have just used homemade Claymores to bring down and capture one of those rascals.

I don't have cable but I'm familiar with a lot of the shows. So I binge watch if I stay over at my mom's.
Validity, well there's a show about a group of researchers from a Pennsylvania University. I think the psychic that wears the scarf and an earring is totally legitimate.
Never really bought into Ancient Aliens. But those shows are entertaining.

Reactions: Paulm
I should put in a disclaimer about Ancient Aliens. I don't consider that a new show even though it is still on. I think it is in a different class as it is actually educational despite the speculative theories. I always learn something about archeology, mythology and the arts when I watch it. If the new shows were more like that, I'd watch them too.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi