Tulpamancers

Fascinating. Also a little concerning.

The whole concept of Tulpas and Thought Forms has always struck me as a very powerful art which carries with it equally powerful dangers. The story of the Jolly Monk referenced in the article is a perfect example of how things can easily go wrong. I have wondered at how closely related the acts are of conjuring a being such as a tulpa and summoning a being.

While making the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit actor Bob Hoskins spent a lot of time concentrating on the animated characters he was sharing a scene with up until the point that he said he could actually see them. However he reported that he would sometimes see these cartoon characters in other places outside of the movie set and it scared him. He had to go though a long mental process to make these imaginary characters go away after filming. This sounds a lot like a tulpa type of experience.

By contrast in the Jolly Monk story the Monk became visible to and could interact with others and his appearance changed. What started as a fat jolly character became a mischievous gaunt figure. To me this sounds almost like the tulpa could have replaced by something else, something darker and malicious. If the Tulpamancers are inviting this entity to live within and take control of their bodies I would be very concerned about the potential hazards of this style of possession.

Last edited:
I really think these so called Tulpas are actually just some entity possessing a person. There may be what we think of as an energy creation from people who have suppressed physic abilities or from stress etc. I don’t believe this in itself is a sentient being. The stories in this article sounds like possession to me.

Reactions: Paulm
I have often wondered if we are like a massive computer that is being used as an adding machine. A computer, regardless of its speed, and power is limited by its softwater programming. We KNOW that human minds is capable of so much more. You occasionally have people that because of some injury or illness will suddenly manifest amazing talents and abilities. The only reason that an injury would cause a brain to work better is that it was somehow rewired.

I have wondered about this a lot and tried to reprogram the way that I think with several sorts of mental exercises. I believe that a lot of our problem is that as we take a baby and teach it we are programming it. What if that programming is what basically dumbs down the abilities of the brain. We know that the ability of babies and very small children to learn and retain knowledge is much greater than it will be later. Why would this be so? You would think that as we learn we would get smarter rather than slow down.

One thing that I learned a long time ago is that we are taught to think in words. In order to think about something, you seem to need a specialized vocabulary for that thing. A child has no language until we teach them one. Their base programing is visual and auditory based. I wonder if the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words might be true in this situation.

We talked elsewhere about the inner voices that people have. I suspect that in some ways we treat these inner voices almost as if they were from separate sources and so as all civilized people should we only allow one to speak at a time in general. We treat this as a bunch of people talking to each other while sitting at a table. We try to make them all talk about the same thing and stay on topic. What if instead, you could allow each to do a separate thing in detail and then allow each to handle that area of activity. Might each part be as a savant because that was all that it concentrated on?

Right now on my computer, I have 9 windows open in tabs. That lets me have several things all open and going and going from one to the other is almost instantaneous. I remember when you only opened one at a time and had to basically close a window to open a new window. This slowed down doing things a lot. I have tried to learn to layer my thoughts and multitask on a multi-level system. It is hard to do with words but if you can do it with pictures it goes faster and, I at least can run more "open windows". About the best can do is 5 to 6 levels. It is almost impossible to explain because the second that you allow words to take over the entire things crumble like a house of cards.

Think of it like this. When you learn to ride a bicycle you can't do it with words. Thinking that I am leaning too far to the left and am going to fall so I should lean more to the right to level myself....You are on the ground! When you switch to unspoken pictures and allow your body to act in response to what you are seeing and feeling without limiting it by thinking about it you "learn" to do it. Memories and responses become VERY fast.

If you go straight to this sort of thing you can learn things of a physical sort much faster. I have found that you can do much the same with nonphysical activities. We all do this sometimes. You will struggle with something and when you back off from it and stop thinking about it so hard you then suddenly know the answer. For just an instant you bypassed the spoken method of thought and just SAW the answer.

Ths idea of letting parts of your mind develop personalities and a separate sense of existence is not as odd as you think. We all do it to some extent. We wear different faces to handle different sorts of situations. We allow each of these faces a limited exitance. Your at work persona is much different from your hanging out with your friend's persona. Your parent persona is a lot different from your friend or lover persona. If you spend long periods in one it will take on a life of its own sometimes.

My wife worked for 25 years in prisons. In prison, there are rules and ways of acting that are important. I occasionally had to bump my wife's persona off. By verbally telling her to stop treating me like a convict. In a prison, the convicts walk on the right side of the hall. You walk down the center of the hall. That is the RULE. If you are walking and an inmate isn't on the right side you do not dodge them You holler "Look OUT!" and they move. This is a part of the psychology that keeps you safe. It works but when she would come home she would try and take center hall on me and when she would holler "look out" at me I would get in front of her on purpose and make her move over. That would make her switch personas. I had an uncle that did 30 years in the military; he was a Senior Master Sergeant. It was nearly impossible for him to change out of that persona and that is why he was often called Uncle Ugly or Uncle Asshole.

All that aside though I can imagine sharing my mind with another because I did it on purpose once. I created another me and then let it grow and fill out into a completely separate person. Over time that creation became ME. Sometimes the only sane response to an insane situation is insanity. Insanity can at times only mean is that you think differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smile4dastrs