Trees are awesome

jadamz

the Countess
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
1616059450283.png

"I am not a single tree. I am the whole forest.". About twenty years ago, an ecologist named Suzanne Simard discovered that trees “communicate their needs and send each other nutrients via a network buried in the soil.” She has continued her research to learn how trees, “send warning signals about environmental change, search for kin, and transfer their nutrients to neighboring plants before they die.” "These plants are not really individuals in the sense that Darwin thought they were individuals competing for survival of the fittest," says Simard. "In fact they are interacting with each other, trying to help each other survive." We don't think about it because we can usually only see what is above ground. This exemplifies one of the great lessons of ecology: seemingly separate organisms are connected and depend on each other.

Trees are awesome. If a hot one asked me, I would marry it.

• Love it
Reactions: Malaria_Kidd IV
jadamz,

Could that tree be named the Liberty Oak from Massachusetts?

I like that seldom read or heard analogy about trees, thanks! It would be interesting to know how she discovered this unusual interaction between plants.:cool:

"Hug a logger! You'll never go back to trees!" was a bumper sticker seen by me years ago during the western spotted owl vs logging crisis during the eighties. :rolleyes:

MK IV ∆=⚾

Reactions: Lynne
Nature is amazing. Everything is alive and synchronized to this planet. We need to tune in whenever possible.

Reactions: Malaria_Kidd IV