Traditions

A relatively new tradition (just ten years in the making) for me and my GF is to sit in bed and watch White Christmas and Last Holiday. Depending upon the time of day, we will either have breakfast in bed or just hot chocolate. [I wouldn’t mind one year pushing the play time back a few hours and having wine in bed.]

If you haven’t seen Last Holiday, please take it as a recommendation from me. See it at least once. But it’s not about Christmas as “holiday” in this case means “vacation”. But we saw this movie for the first time at Christmas in 2006. It stars Queen Latifah as a woman who through tragedy elects to give up her fears. It is essentially a romantic comedy though the romance part is kind of unrequited. The movie does seem to evoke Christmas in that there is a lot of snow and Queen Latifah looks gorgeous in an all red gown...and, it has a similar kind of “personal change” story which is the heart of both A Christmas Carol and It’s a Wonderful Life.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
Storm horse, I really enjoyed that video. Leaves and sticks and limbs are going into my industrial-sized* burn pit today!:) and a Holly Jolly Christmas will probably be stuck in my head:)
*16'X 8'.

1 year when I was a kid our family cat, Porkchop, toppled a 12 foot Christmas tree. This happened when my Mom and my brother and I were out the door headed for school. (Mom was teaching). Mom said "There is nothing we could do right now" and off we went!:) That evening we got to redecorate the tree and Dad tied off the top with fishing line. Reliving that story is also a family tradition.
Porkchop lived to be 21 years old. If he was alive today he would be 42. We found Porkchop in the woods as a little feral kitten. We were playing all day and packed a lunch. The kitten came up to us while we were eating and Nancy said, "He likes pork chops." Reliving that story is a funeral tradition. That's usually the only time the old gang gets back together.:(
Okay I figured out out how to circle this back around to Christmas. Nancy had a job where she was Santa! She would take toy prototypes and redesign them for efficient manufacturing. :cool:

Reading these stories is so heart warming. I think for us, it’s having everyone tog. I have a little family but it’s always nice to have everyone there. The kids all have boyfriends now, so the future looks like it will continue lol. I feel the loss of those passed especially at these times. Christmas is a time to really appreciate the true gift God has given. For those who do not celebrate I hope this is a time of sharing love and greatfulness.

A relatively new tradition (just ten years in the making) for me and my GF is to sit in bed and watch White Christmas and Last Holiday. Depending upon the time of day, we will either have breakfast in bed or just hot chocolate. [I wouldn’t mind one year pushing the play time back a few hours and having wine in bed.]

If you haven’t seen Last Holiday, please take it as a recommendation from me. See it at least once. But it’s not about Christmas as “holiday” in this case means “vacation”. But we saw this movie for the first time at Christmas in 2006. It stars Queen Latifah as a woman who through tragedy elects to give up her fears. It is essentially a romantic comedy though the romance part is kind of unrequited. The movie does seem to evoke Christmas in that there is a lot of snow and Queen Latifah looks gorgeous in an all red gown...and, it has a similar kind of “personal change” story which is the heart of both A Christmas Carol and It’s a Wonderful Life.
Is this the one where she thinks she’s dying? Great movie if so.

We don't really stick to the conventional traditions anymore besides giving gifts, but the one thing that cannot be absent from my Christmas is Panettone. If I don't get my annual binge of Panettone in December, then the festive season is ruined

upload_2018-12-28_6-50-39.png

We don't really stick to the conventional traditions anymore besides giving gifts, but the one thing that cannot be absent from my Christmas is Panettone. If I don't get my annual binge of Panettone in December, then the festive season is ruined

View attachment 16435

Vibe, do you eat just one panettone in December or several? And, is there a particular, exotic flavor you like best?

Reactions: Lynne
MOST PEOPLE HAVE THOSE ONE OR TWO TRADITIONS THAT JUST "MAKE" THEIR CHRISTMAS OR HOLIDAYS. MANY OF US SAY, "WELL, IT JUST WOULDN'T BE THE HOLIDAYS IF (FILL IN THE BLANK) DIDN'T HAPPEN!

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOLIDAY TRADITIONS? WHAT MAKES IT THE "HOLIDAYS" FOR YOU?

For a long time family and extended family would have Thanksgiving at my great grandmothers house, on Thanksgiving day we would watch the Twilight Zone marathon.