Tornado.

Rbo762

Reaction score
Any Chicago area members experience that tornado last night? We took a direct hit but we are okay! How is everyone else holding up!

• Wow
Reactions: GoneWestUtah
Any Chicago area members experience that tornado last night? We took a direct hit but we are okay! How is everyone else holding up!
So glad you are doing OK! We had our own bad storms the night before. This weather has been wild! Did your house take the hit?

BTW, I'm originally from Da Region...Lake County, IN, so I know your area fairly well.

Reactions: Rbo762
Glad to hear that you came through it OK. People that don't live in the tornado alleys can't imagine the fear that people experience when the skies turn green and that cool breeze is felt when a tornado is coming down.

The little town that my family comes from was wiped almost totally off the map by one. There is a strip of black lands south of Dallas that will just suck a tornado out of an almost clear sky sometimes. There was a lake on the edge of town and when it would get HOT the rising air off the fields around the lake would cause a strong downdraft over that lake and even when there were no tornadoes it caused dust devils that were strong.

My Grandmother had a concrete storm shelter in her yard and many a night when I was a kid they would pull me out of bed and down into that concrete hole in the ground. I hated that! I had an Aunt and Uncle that felt like I did about those little hiding holes so he dug and hole in the side of a hill and then put a school bus in the hole. He covered it and then braced it and poured concrete over it and then backfilled the hole. All that you could see was the end of the bus sticking out of the hill. Inside it was fixed up like a real nice efficiency apartment. If there were storm warnings they just spent the night in that.

When you flatten a little town with 500 people in it and almost every family lost someone those people never forget and never take it for granted that it can't happen to them. I had an Aunt and Uncle that were safe but stuck in the bank's safe vault for several days. The bank was flattened on top of it. They survived because my uncle dropped the ledger and the safe vault door couldn't close because it was stuck in the door.

The power of nature can be even scarier than most paranormal experiences.

At least some hauntings out there are more predictable than some of these tornados........

Hope any members affected are safe and sound.

My family moved from a tornado ally to the Gulf Coast. We lived there for about 30 years and got the pleasure of riding out several big hurricanes. They are a bit scary but still a lot better than a tornado. You know that they are coming for a long time and have plenty of time to batten down the hatches. LOL, I was honestly never very bothered by them but when I would go out to Los Angeles I worried about an earthquake. I guess that you can get used to anything. We moved about a hundred miles inland when the economy based on the oil industry crashed in the 80s. The weather and natural threats here are almost boring. It is very nice, not very cold in the winter and even though it is hot in the summer it is nothing like the heat that came with the 100% humidity you have on the coast was like.

• Haha
Reactions: Lynne and Rbo762