Top Gun Sequal filming on aircraft carrier

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
"Top Gun" sequel filming aboard Norfolk-based aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln

"Top Gun" sequel filming aboard Norfolk-based aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln

59162e7e380d6.image.jpg

NORFOLK
The highway to the danger zone will run through Hampton Roads.

The sequel to the 1986 blockbuster “Top Gun” is being filmed aboard the Norfolk-based USS Abraham Lincoln this week, according to the Navy. The original film inspired a generation of fighter pilots and served as a recruiting bonanza for the Navy.

The much-anticipated sequel began shooting May 31, according to a photo on Tom Cruise’s Instagram account. The photo featured him in a flight suit near a fighter jet with the same helmet he wore in the original film and referenced an oft-quoted line from the original movie: “I feel the need, the need for speed.”

The first day of shooting took place at Naval Air Station North Island in California, the Navy said.

“Stylistically it’ll be the same,” Cruise said in the interview. “We’ll have big, fast machines. ... It’s going to be a competition film like the first one and it’s going to be in the same vein, the same tone as the first one, but a progression for Maverick.”

A 15-person crew from Paramount Pictures and Bruckheimer Films went aboard the Lincoln on Sunday and will remain through Saturday, said Naval Air Force Atlantic spokesman Cmdr. Dave Hecht. He said no actors are aboard and that the crew is shooting footage on the flight deck of air operations, which include F/A-18 Super Hornets from Virginia Beach-based Carrier Air Wing Seven taking off and landing as part of their carrier qualifications.

Few details about what the film will be about have been released, but Cruise revealed in an interview with “Access Hollywood” last year that it would be called “Top Gun: Maverick.”

Reactions: 7Critter
Cool. I wonder if it can possibly live up to the original film. I agree that this is big PR for the Navy.

Tom Cruise at 56 is very long in the tooth for a fighter pilot. At that age eye sight and reflexes are not nearly as sharp as a twenty something. I'll be curious how the film explains a fifty year old pilot. Did he get bionic / robotic implants ?

In 1999/2000 I spent a week at sea aboard the conventional aircraft carrier USS John F Kennedy off the east coast. I gained tremendous respect for the men and women who served aboard that ship, especially the young enlisted sailors. Loudest place I've ever tried to sleep, was lucky if I got four hours in any 24 hour period and I had a two person stateroom to myself. How the enlisted folks got any sleep in a very tight quartered berthing compartment with 50-60 other sailors I don't know. What the crew made of the civilian with the ponytail and beard I don't know either, but they could not have been more professional. For the first couple days I always seemed to be lost, but there was always a helpful sailor there to point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I am actually looking forward to this one myself, and I am not a Tom Cruise fan, but I'm a bit in love with our military. I do hope they can do this movie justice on the music score, as much of the first movie was tied into the music. It gave it that "edge".

Reactions: 7Critter
I don't know about this sequel. The first one was a F-14 Tomcat commercial which i loved. When i was kid, they used to fly over the house to land at the Grumman plant in Bethpage. I don't think i can get into the F-18 Super Hornet. Not as sexy :)

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
I think many of these stars of show business use cheat on instagram. Even I once used one service to get more real instagram followers. In most of these services, these are just bots. But I used a service that helps to get exactly real people in my subscriptions. Not a bad service, by the way.

I'm intrigued by this I love the first film and have the 30th anniversary steelbook blu-ray

Reactions: Paintman