Today's Question

What sort of demands?

"Something" for their inconvenience, like an extra free whatever it was they ordered, gift cards in addition to refunds, free upgrade to the next product up the line, free shipping on later orders, etc. There were also people who would threaten bad reviews if they did not get exactly what they wanted. Mind you many, if not most, of the complaints resulted from mistakes on the part of the customer, such as ordering the wrong style/color/size.

Best one was a guy who demanded a refund on a pair of high end sneakers he'd worn for a couple years, said they never were comfortable. Wasn't unusual for people to want refunds on things they bought elsewhere, or even other brands. Then there were the ones who threatened to call the police, write their congressman, have their broker sell stock they claimed to own in the product manufacturer, etc.

Last edited:
"Something" for their inconvenience, like an extra free whatever it was they ordered, gift cards in addition to refunds, free upgrade to the next product up the line, free shipping on later orders, etc. There were also people who would threaten bad reviews if they did not get exactly what they wanted. Mind you many, if not most, of the complaints resulted from mistakes on the part of the customer, such as ordering the wrong style/color/size.

Best one was a guy who demanded a refund on a pair of high end sneakers he'd worn for a couple years, said they never were comfortable. Wasn't unusual for people to want refunds on things they bought elsewhere, or even other brands. Then there were the ones who threatened to call the police, write their congressman, have their broker sell stock they claimed to own in the product manufacturer, etc.
Wow, people can be amazing sometimes! Most of the callers I get annoyed with, are obvious scammers who try to convince me that I have a refund coming on something that I don't even use, or try to scare me into thinking that I need to let them have access to my bank, credit cards, or computer. THAT is when the fun starts! Telemarketers I merely block. I understand that they are trying to make a living, but the scammers are shown no mercy.:smilingimp:

Best one was a guy who demanded a refund on a pair of high end sneakers he'd worn for a couple years, said they never were comfortable.
Many, many years ago my Mom worked at a Sears catalog store. Their policy was to accept all returns, including obviously worn and sometimes worn-out items.

Many, many years ago my Mom worked at a Sears catalog store. Their policy was to accept all returns, including obviously worn and sometimes worn-out items.

I think there were a number of brick & mortar retailers who had policy that back in the day, I know Kmart did for example. My son's-in-law former employer represented some of the nation's largest retailers, however, and they tightened up their return policies just in the three years he was with them.

I will tell them once that I am not interested. If they keep going after that I feel free to get creative. I will start speaking to them only in pig Latin. Start telling them an endlessly long-winded story about my hemorrhoid problems. Occasionally if I'm in a hurry I will simply say "Talk to my Butt" and from that point on will only make farting sounds. They usually hang up fast on that one. I LOATHE telemarketing. When I was still working I needed my cell phone to receive and make appointments. I could hardly work for having to check my phone because of them wasting my time. I eventually had to do a message telling people that I never answered my phone but would call them as soon as I had finished my current job. I then also explained why I had to do this. Most people were very accepting of this once they understood that I wasn't just ignoring their call and the telemarketers seldom left a message. When checking my messages I would immediately hit delete at the sound of a computer call.
This is great Tex. Omg you had me laughing.

There are different ways I handle scammers and legit telemarketers. Since the question is about telemarketing, my number is on the do not call list. I usually don’t get many calls from companies that I wouldn’t be interested in hearing from. However the last time I did was a few years back for a long distance phone plan. I kept arguing with the guy that the only way I would try their services would be if they gave me an option to have a number I could dial with my cell phone and test it out but then he finally got me to agree with switching to their service (though I really didn’t want to and wasn’t too smart about it at the time either). Either way he had taken up way too much of my time (close to an hour) so I told him he’s taken up too much of my time and he could call me at a later time to finalise the switch. Needless to say he never called back.