Today's Question

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Today's Question:

What's the best thing you've ever done to a telephone solicitor/telemarketer?

oh-you-hang-up-on-telemarketers-youre-such-a-rebel-49311111.png

Had one that just would NOT go away. Live caller, so AIR HORN. He stopped. He was "Vincent" who's ID showed Jamaica. Now, I simply will not pick up a call without an ID to it. AND I don't have voicemail. Cuts down on the problem.

Now, if I can keep a certain older relative from marrying that Jamaican "Prince", I'm good to go.

Now, I simply will not pick up a call without an ID to it.
I go one step further, I don't answer the phone to numbers that I don't recognize. Scammers gave gotten clever, spoofing the number/caller ID. I got a call the other day from myself, that is, my name was on the caller ID.

I go one step further, I don't answer the phone to numbers that I don't recognize. Scammers gave gotten clever, spoofing the number/caller ID. I got a call the other day from myself, that is, my name was on the caller ID.
I've heard about that. How the heck do they do that? Just scary how they can manipulate the system.

Reactions: garnetsilver
Did, did.. did you open up a portal ?

I found out how these telemarketers can mask a phone number by calling back the phone number. It's usually a local person in my area code that explains that their phone number is being used for auto repair insurance or vinyl siding sales purposes. Now I know. I thank them. But when I call back one of those innocent numbers that looks too familiar, and falls through the cracks.... well that's when I play dumb when they explain to me that someone commandeered their phone number - and I spring into action.
So using this opportunity, I always try to sell them a paint job.:)
It's a Yin & Yang thing in the universe. Just doing my part.:cool:

It depends on what kind of a mood that I'm in, but I always have something different if they call. I signed up for a service that will block them if you report the number they called from, but they still keep changing numbers and I keep reporting.

Having said that, the best thing is one day they called, trying to scam us; something about Apple computers, and I had Jim pick up the extension so we could annoy the heck out of them by pretending to be really stupid, saying that we don't eat apples because we can't chew them, etc. I can't say anything really was the best, but I have lots of fun. I figure why not waste their time since they are trying to scam people? Once, I flat out asked the guy who was trying to scam me, why on earth couldn't he get an honest job? He hung up on me.:p

Several years ago I got a call from a local replacement window company. Early on in the call it was apparent they had somehow gotten my phone number mismatched with someone else, both name and address. I kept them on the phone for a good forty minutes, having them describe multiple window options, and finally asked if they could bring examples of all those windows to my house so "Mrs Wilson" and I could pick what we wanted. We set an appointment for their sales guy to come to "our" house with all his windows at 6pm on a Thursday night. I was tempted to drive by the other address at 6pm, but decided not to.

Last edited:
Several years ago I got a call from a local replacement window company. Early on in the call it was apparent they had somehow gotten my phone number mismatched with someone else, both name and address. I kept them on the phone for a good forty minutes, having them describe multiple window options, and finally asked if they could bring examples of all those windows to my house so "Mrs Wilson" and I could pick what we wanted. We set an appointment for their sales guy to come to "our" house with all his windows at 6pm on a Thursday night. I was tempted to drive by the other address at 6pm, but decided not to.
:crown:Best story yet!

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman