Time to plan the garden

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

I know with the price of groceries, many people are planning on planting a garden this year.
Are you one of them? If so, what are you planning to grow?
From seed or from starter plants?
Have you grown your own food in the past?
Got a green thumb?

For my family, I'm just purchasing extra of everything as I can afford it and stocking up the pantry as I just heard what garden plants are going to cost this year!

i am planning a garden this year. its been a few years since ive had on. will probably do raised beds, something not too big but enough for a good selection..i had a huge garden for a while but drifted away from doing it due to time management. I also have a chicken coop in the works to be completed by mid april, and planning a couple bee hives by may....that should keep me busy for the summer and outdoors a lot....lol

i am planning a garden this year. its been a few years since ive had on. will probably do raised beds, something not too big but enough for a good selection..i had a huge garden for a while but drifted away from doing it due to time management. I also have a chicken coop in the works to be completed by mid april, and planning a couple bee hives by may....that should keep me busy for the summer and outdoors a lot....lol
I always loved my raised beds. They were so productive! My Florida son has raised beds all over, chickens and rabbits as well. Now bees may be something he might be interested in as well...I don't know if he's thought of that yet.

My live-here son is talking about giving another garden a shot again this year. However, we are going to have to guard against the neighbor's wandering chickens with it's own guard duck that we encountered last year that ate everything he tried to grow. (They are free run during the day and don't care about property lines. They will cross a 10 acre field with no regard to fencing!)

My parents had a garden while we were growing up. The soil did not always work for everything though. I'd have a garden but i can't seem to be able to grow full Jack Daniels bottles ;bg2

My parents had a garden while we were growing up. The soil did always work for everything though. I'd have a garden but i can't seem to be able to grow full Jack Daniels bottles ;bg2
I think these guys can deliver...
327323048_578113977521887_7884801907105626095_n.jpg

Herbs
3 varieties of catnip.
Doing basil & rosemary from plants. May have to do celantro from plants - seeds didn't work out last year.

Pretty much everything is out of containers but I took pictures this year so I don't get the perennials mixed up.

Paul, My high school friend does bee keeping and usually wins the honey contest at the county fair. He explained that the flavors come from the different flowers that grow around the hives. It's like adding different ingredients in a slow roundabout way.
Sounds like a fun project.

However, we are going to have to guard against the neighbor's wandering chickens with it's own guard duck that we encountered last year that ate everything he tried to grow. (They are free run during the day and don't care about property lines. They will cross a 10 acre field with no regard to fencing!)
if they're in your garden they're free for picking...add the vegetables and chicken soup time... i hear Paint has a good recipe...(though i dont get any..:cry:)

Last edited:
if they're in your garden there free for picking...add the vegetables and chicken soup time... i hear Paint has a good recipe...(though i dont get any..:cry:)
He just posted a new soup recipe! You really need to talk to him about that soup ban...lol

• Big Grin
Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
I do the raised beds as family are too far away to supply them with produce so I do it on a small scale but have cherry tomatoes, you don't have to spray chemicals on them and I freeze in bags for cooking all year. Beans, snow peas, silver beet, corn, zucchini, capsicum, lettuce, cucumber and more. Summer here atm but will put in winter crops soon. Chooks for eggs, it's cheaper here to buy eating chickens than raise them and yabbies in the dam for sea food, well dam food, lol. The steers are safe as grass eaters and annoying pets, lol.