Time, Social distancing…why and what it may mean

TexDanm

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Time, Social distancing…why and what it may mean

Time…To a certain extent, time is sort of an opinion that is based on what you are perceiving. When there is very little going on your perception of time is that it is crawling along and then when a lot of things are happening, and you are busy, it seems to fly by. It most often seems that our perception of time is more a measure of the time between memorable and different experiences than the actual passing of time.

Boredom is simply a lack of memorable things that will break a stretch of time into pieces. Most people don’t deal well with this. When you are deprived of stimulus you become prone to daydreaming to offer your conscious mind something to deal with.

It is strange the long boring periods of time seem to pass so slowly BUT when you look back it seems so short because there was nothing in that period to break it up into memorable pieces and it becomes one small memory. If people are forced into confinement and isolation they will retreat into their minds and eventually that can become their reality. That is called being CRAZY!!

Something that people don’t understand now days is that “modern” people don’t have the training or tools to deal with even limited isolation. Most people born after the 70s have lived with constant artificial stimulation. For some, it is a 24 hour a day thing with radios, TVs, Computers, and all the various personal music players.

People these days don’t talk much, they don’t think a lot in the sense of just sit and ponder and think about things. Even when they are together they each clutch their cell phones and seem to mostly try to ignore each other. When they get bored with their machines they then gather and make noise just to make each moment memorable and to avoid the horror of boredom and introspection.

This stay at home social distancing is going to drive these people crazy and I expect increasing violence. ANYTHING is better than boredom and they will seek out and cause violence if that is all that they can do. Time is beginning to lose its meaning for many of us. LOL, if it wasn’t for my watch I wouldn’t know what day of the week it is most of the time. Each day is much the same and that makes it hard to keep track of time.

I am probably better off than most because I was more or less an only child. My only sibling was a younger brother. H was profoundly retarded and never passed the level of about an 18-month-old baby. I spent a lot of time alone and often lived very much in myself. I have dozens of craft type hobbies to the point that my wife says that my hobby is hobbies and I like to learn new things. I also have always escaped into books and prefer them over movies or TV.

I am doing fine but I am seeing that others are beginning to suffer. For many, there is the worry about money and getting the bills paid. For some, it is the sheer horror of being locked up in the house with a bunch of bored kids. In the end, we need to determine just how bad the COVID-19 is and how bad is this isolation going to affect our culture and nations.

Places like this are keeping a lot of people going. Living alone in normal times is a struggle but with this current situation, it is a living hell for some. My wife is active on several local groups and has run errands for several people that had limited mobility issues before this and have been separated from most of their support system. We are also trying to put the money that we are getting from the FEDS and unemployment back into the local businesses. She is active on Facebook and such while I am more active on various boards. what are you doing to keep your mind active and to break the monotony?

First of all, very good points are made there. Second, being autistic, I rarely crave a lot of stimulation in the outside world. I don't mind being indoors all the time either because I have made my peace with my physical limitations years ago, and am used to having limited activities outside the house. I also have hobbies; my writing, trying out new recipes, decorating, crafts, drawing, and learning new things. I still love books and read twice daily. I belong to a few boards; this one, and a few for my health issues, and for autism. So in that sense, I am not suffering with the shelter in place situation. But I have far too much time to think about all the implications of this whole thing and it is hard not to fall into the pit of worry and anxiety.

As I've mentioned before, I've been self isolating with family for almost 2 years now. I've done well with it and not had major issues, but something I would like to add into this discussion is the difference between then and now.

"Now" there is a new component. It is that fight or flight reflex that seems to always be there for us. It's the new wariness of surroundings to a very heightened degree, especially if you live in an area that is a hot zone. The medical implications are that you have sudden adrenaline spikes along with the anxiety, which can wear your body down physically.

I've found myself working to take my mind to other places when I can....here on the forum, reading, and some simply silly reality programs on TV...lol This stops that hormone overload and gives the body rest.

And regarding "us" determining how bad Covid is, the facts are pretty plain. The choices are not good choices, but it's what we've got. Some will go headlong into what they feel is the old normal, some of us will continue to be wary and self isolate due to our own circumstances and health needs. Governments will make their choices, we will make ours.

I will be moving this over to a new placement on the forum. Follow the re-direct arrow. :)

Last edited:
"Now" there is a new component. It is that fight or flight reflex that seems to always be there for us. It's the new wariness of surroundings to a very heightened degree, especially if you live in an area that is a hot zone. The medical implications are that you have sudden adrenaline spikes along with the anxiety, which can wear your body down physically.

This is exactly what I meant; everyday, multiple times a day, I have to make a conscious effort not to panic, or try to project my mind into the future. It is exhausting.

This too shall pass. I do not think this will last forever. We may have to live with some social changes for a while but I refuse to live my life behind a mask or not hug my family for the rest of my life. I don’t think others will either. I think the world will tolerate this for a while and then life will go on as before.

This too shall pass. I do not think this will last forever. We may have to live with some social changes for a while but I refuse to live my life behind a mask or not hug my family for the rest of my life. I don’t think others will either. I think the world will tolerate this for a while and then life will go on as before.
For some this may be true. For some as myself, probably not so much.

I know and my heart breaks for you. My mom is in a similar spot.

Reactions: Debi
Like my aunt who has COPD and Asthma. Miraculously, she has had the COVID virus and survived it, but I don't know what shape her lungs will be in after this.

Reactions: Debi
Back to Dan's original topic, I've also found baking to be one of my old hobbies that has come into play again. With no complaints from the family, I might add! lol