Time can go faster or slower depending on gravity

I wonder if the differences between measurements of time, and our perceptions of time are (for example, you feel like it should be a certain time, and the clock shows it is much different than how you perceived it to be) because of fluctuations with the intensity of gravity.

It's a fact of physics that gravity distorts and warps time. For example, if you put a clock on the top of a tower, and one on the bottom, even if they were synced in the beginning, they'll start to drift further away as "time" goes on.

Stephen Hawking talked about this on page 43 in "A Brief History of Time". He says, "Another prediction of general relativity is that time should appear to run slower near a massive body like the earth". I personally argue that Earth should be capitalized out of respect and honor for our great mother planet, and I further argue that there should be no "the" before Earth. Earth is the name of our planet. We don't refer to "the Mars", or "the Jupiter", or "the Saturn", but I digress.

He also goes on to say, "This prediction was tested in 1962, using a pair of very accurate clocks mounted at the top and bottom of a water tower (Fig. 2.17). The clock at the bottom, which was nearer the earth, was found to run slower, in exact agreement with general relativity."

So then the next question becomes, does the intensity of gravity change? The answer is yes.

Does gravity vary across the surface of the Earth? (Intermediate) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

The astronomer was writing for a casual audience and leaves out the fact that lava and magma flow underneath us, changing the mass below us. This would result in a change of gravity, but it would be so slight that only advanced scientific instruments could detect it.

Now, another thing I wonder about here, is this: What if technology existed to alter gravity? This would change our perception of time, if indeed, gravity was changed.

What am I getting at here? That corporations could draw time out longer during work hours so that they could gain more production, and therefore more money.
we each have our own conscious and unconscious conception of the way our time should be spent.. whether our wants and needs conflict. It will always breakdown in our psyche along the lines of a responsible way we live day to day.

dimrtrns.gif

I do believe that if we dont use our time as needed it causes some distress in us that leads to mood swings..sort of like when we feel that something isnt right but we cant pin point the reason we feel that way.

Reactions: Taliesin and Lynne
Two observations here. As a baby boomer, I can tell you that as you get older, time seems to speed up. Is that simply our perception or perspective of more time behind us than before us?

Second, as a medical profession, and one who has had to take some serious narcotics due to a medical condition, "time" is perceived much differently while under that influence. Time is still flowing, however, our perception of it can be skewed while under the influence. What seems a short time can often be hours. The body still ages normally, but the mind is still in the "old" time period.

A coma patient who has been under for 10 years, still awakens with the mind set of being back in their own perception of time, not in the current time, although the body has aged, many times the cells haven't had the same "wear and tear" so it hasn't aged as much. The physical body "in time" seems to have many strange outcomes to time itself.
In the end I think there's some answers we may never have. We only really get general concepts when it comes to time. I think this is a denension that only God controls. Only time will tell !

I am enjoying this thread conversation Taliesin. The thoughts and theories by all is great. To me, time is all about perception by the individual. When you are engaged in a task, you are not thinking about time, thus "time flies by." When you are idle or waiting for something, you are thinking about time, thus "time slows." The physics as pointed out in the tower gravity study is fascinating.

And here I am trying to balance a pencil between my upper lip and nose.:(
that could only mean you have earned leisure time.... but it could also have something to do with your ADHD

Reactions: Lynne
AND people with ADHD often perceive time differently as well.....(dragging this back on topic...)

So, I'm back to my question of "perception". If spacetime is just a concept in the physical world, do we all perceive it differently? Is my concept of time different from say, a Buddhist monk?

Reactions: Lynne and Taliesin
we each have our own conscious and unconscious conception of the way our time should be spent.. whether our wants and needs conflict. It will always breakdown in our psyche along the lines of a responsible way we live day to day.

dimrtrns.gif

I do believe that if we dont use our time as needed it causes some distress in us that leads to mood swings..sort of like when we feel that something isnt right but we cant pin point the reason we feel that way.
I've thought that too, but even if I feel like my time has been spent usefully and efficiently, I have still looked at the clock and wondered how such little time has gone by. One time, I perceived the time going by twice as fast as the clock said, and I got a lot done.

Reactions: Paintman