Thunderbird caught in flight, or just mistaken Turkey Vulture?

Timothy Ochoa

Reaction score

Kinda interesting.. it's hard to gauge its size with a reference point beside it etc. personally I'm gonna have to guess this is a misidentification more-so/instead of a true 'n blue Thunderbird sighting captured.. but I wasn't there, so who really knows. and while this fella that shot this with his film sounds sure in his convictions, I still have my doubts. the bird looks big, but Thunderbird-sized big? idk. what do y'all think?

Last edited:

Kinda interesting.. it's hard to gauge its size with a reference point beside it etc. personally I'm gonna have to guess this is a misidentification more-so/instead of a true 'n blue Thunderbird sighting.. but I wasn't there, so who really knows. and while this fella that shot this with his film sounds sure in his convictions, I still have my doubts. the bird looks big, but Thunderbird-sized big? idk. what do y'all think?

I lean towards misidentification also...more than likely a turkey vulture or condor of some type., in the 70's there were a lot of thunderbird stories and a few tv shows like "in search of" and "that's amazing" that would run stories and videos such as this., looks like that may be where this came from. good video in a nostalgic kind of way though...at least this got ppl interested and thinking there may be something more out there.

Kinda interesting.. it's hard to gauge its size with a reference point beside it etc. personally I'm gonna have to guess this is a misidentification more-so/instead of a true 'n blue Thunderbird sighting.. but I wasn't there, so who really knows. and while this fella that shot this with his film sounds sure in his convictions, I still have my doubts. the bird looks big, but Thunderbird-sized big? idk. what do y'all think?
The way he narrates negates the feel of authenticity. He sounds like he’s narrating an old superhero movie.

Otherwise cool bird

The way he narrates negates the feel of authenticity. He sounds like he’s narrating an old superhero movie.

Otherwise cool bird
haha, yeah I understand. though I think this Chief AJ guy just really speaks like that, as I saw another video of him talking about Native American folklore and legends.

Reactions: Charleh
I lean towards misidentification also...more than likely a turkey vulture or condor of some type., in the 70's there were a lot of thunderbird stories and a few tv shows like "in search of" and "that's amazing" that would run stories and videos such as this., looks like that may be where this came from. good video in a nostalgic kind of way though...at least this got ppl interested and thinking there may be something more out there.

all well said Paulm. imo, I think there's a great chance he captured a condor with his film here. *which they are noted for having the 2nd largest documented wingspan of flying birds currently, right behind the wondering albatross. *the bird here's wingtip, plumage, headshape etc look like typical turkey vultures I see here in TX.. though I admit its wingspan when it spread looked quite larger than turkey vultures I've seen. so a possible California condor etc is a good guess. sidenote: yes I do believe Thunderbirds are out there & have been seen, but this doesn't seem to be one. thx for the responses

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Critter and Paulm
That sure looked like a huge bird regardless of what it’s called.

Reactions: Timothy Ochoa