Those key people....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

I looked back over my life recently to see what the "turning points" were for taking me on certain paths. Each and every one of them involved a person. So! Can you do the same? Is it possible to prove that our live paths can and are influenced by the people we meet along the way and can actually change course due to someone else's influence? Deep question today. Hope you have your thinking caps on!​

Reactions: 7Critter and Aces
That would be my grandpa, Pop. He took me along to the gym, and that really stuck with me. And ten bodybuilding titles later , I'm still working out and keeping up with the Young Guns. And for some reason I like the same things he liked. I mean if anybody could make liking the Chicago White Sox look cool, he could.:p:(

yes, Some better some worse.

Reactions: Paulm
Ok this is a good question. I will think on this and come back.

Reactions: 7Critter
The good people and paths were easy! But then I looked at those that sent me off on paths that should have not been! Now, those are the ones that had me shaking my head and going "What the heck was I doing?" But there were a few that truly opened my eyes. :eyes:

Of course my parents had the biggest influence on me but them aside .... I think it was the two men who gave me my first jobs. The first was the owner of an engineering co and he hired me to be an office girl. He took a chance on a green kid. I learned all about business and how it ran from the inside. I learned a lot about dealing with people too. Then the judge that gave me the job at the youth home. I would spend the next 36 years working with troubled kids. I also met a woman in my early teens that got me into hoses and that has been my life’s joy. I was given a small angora goat after the birth of my daughter. This led me into spinning my own yarn. The lady who taught me was a fiber artist and was my mentor for many years. This came at a time in my life when my horses had to take a back seat to a baby. The timing was perfect. Looking back I see the Devine ordering of the course and blessing in my life. The best blessing and most important person was meeting my husband. Without him I’m sure my life would have been very different. So debi you are right these people did enter my life and change my direction. Without them I don’t know what my life would look like.

The one bad influence was a church associated man that got me Involved in the Oujia and occult stuff in my teens. It was just playing around but it cost me for a long time. Without this man I would have avoided a lot of fear and dread. However it did teach me a hard lesson. In the end I am closer to god for it.

I've thought of the " turning points " quite a few times, not out of regret or what could have been, just as what is.
As a child we are of course influenced by our parents. In our teen years we are influenced by our friends and just as much by our enemies, we worry about what others think about us, how others see us, whether were popular or good enough on the team , if were bullied, all of this molds us into who we will become, just at this point in our live we don't have an understanding of what Is happening or how its the same for everyone else also. (More or less).
When I was 25 and thought I had it all figured out someone made me see the world in a different light. They showed me its not all cut and dry or simple, but layered and one perspective is not always the only way to see things....through this person I was giving the book of 5 rings and the tao ta ching which led to zen and the understanding of Bushido, which progressed Into a strong study of philosophy and changed my life from that point on.
I know, that don't make any sence but that is the short version of one of the major turning points for me and how it was because of someone else. For me , in one of the most unlikely places to discover philosophy and it have a profound impact and changed the way I saw everything, was life changing....
A few years after that, I was at a highschool reunion. And realized how much we all influenced each other.we all influence our friends, and through them others we don't even know, they may be friends with ppl we didnt like but that little piece of us they carry around is left in the ppl they meet......our actions and intent spreads far.

Last edited:
That would be my grandpa, Pop. He took me along to the gym, and that really stuck with me. And ten bodybuilding titles later , I'm still working out and keeping up with the Young Guns. And for some reason I like the same things he liked. I mean if anybody could make liking the Chicago White Sox look cool, he could.:p:(
10 bodybuilding titles later!!!!!!! Woaw

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
I often wonder about the turning points that shaped my life. None involved people but chance events that had a major influence, so random and rare that could be anticipated. One that stands out was finding money on a street in Glasgow but I'll relate that story another time :)

I often wonder about the turning points that shaped my life. None involved people but chance events that had a major influence, so random and rare that could be anticipated. One that stands out was finding money on a street in Glasgow but I'll relate that story another time :)
Oh this sounds good. Any wait to hear!

Reactions: TonyM