This is how teens during the Renaissance really lived

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
From the article:

During the Renaissance, some people were able to wait for marriage. As per Internet Shakespeare Editions, the average age for 17th-century English couples at marriage tended to be 23 for women and 26 for men. However, the age of consent for boys was 14 and only 12 for girls. Meanwhile, the Victoria & Albert Museum reports that girls in 15th-century Florence typically married between ages 15 and 19.​
How many were ready to get married as a teen ? Certainly not me.

I wonder how much infant mortality and health issues played into the fact that people waited to marry. Hving had grandparents that were born in the late 1800s I know that many children died at birth or soon after . I think most people didnt live in cities like Florence and did what their family and locals did the last two thousand plus years when it came to marrying and all the other cultural ideas.

Reactions: Black Cloud
From the article:

During the Renaissance, some people were able to wait for marriage. As per Internet Shakespeare Editions, the average age for 17th-century English couples at marriage tended to be 23 for women and 26 for men. However, the age of consent for boys was 14 and only 12 for girls. Meanwhile, the Victoria & Albert Museum reports that girls in 15th-century Florence typically married between ages 15 and 19.​
How many were ready to get married as a teen ? Certainly not me.
Not me. I was 26 and that seemed young. I can’t imagine being a teen. It seems that being an adolescent back then was as awakened as today. Times change but people are the same.