Think back to...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
....stories about favorite restaurants/places to eat that are no longer in business. Can be a chain or a local mom & pop. What was the place known for, and what was your favorite meal served there?

(Thanks to Duke for the question today.)

Reactions: Paintman
A Greek milk bar as a kid,I just remember the awesome milk shakes and burgers,nothing fancy but I still remember how good they were.I also went to school with their daughter who was much liked due to her parents great shop.

There used to be a place called the San Jacinto Inn that was in the shadow of the San Jacinto monument and beside the Battleship Texas. This was a place that you paid to get into and then they brought you food until you couldn't eat anymore. They offered endless boiled shrimp cocktails, Fried shrimp, Raw, and Fried oysters, Fried fish, Stuffed Crabs, and Fried chicken for the kids. The waiters bought their jobs and you never lacked for anything. They also had THE BEST rolls that you have ever tasted and they only served then two at a time because they were always hot and fresh out of the oven.

It wasn't cheap but they made sure that it was always a memorable experience. The waiters were one and all totally devoted to making you happy and to eat too much. They were instantly on a first-name basis with you. It was served in courses and you could move on or come back to any of them whenever you wanted too. The only cost to you once you sat down was alcoholic beverages, mostly ice-cold draft beer, and the tip for the waiter. The inside was like an 18th-century ballroom with 20foot high ceilings, chandeliers and beautiful hardwood floors. The building had a rather colorful past.

Last edited:
I have two:

Growing up, my favorite fastfood chain was "Burger Chef." In the 60s they were the nation's primary competitor to McDonald's and offered flame broiled burgers. Their flagship sandwich was the Big Chef, a double decker similar to the Big Mac. They started disappearing in the 80s, and those that remained were bought out by Hardee's in the 90s. Every few years, Hardee's runs a limited time promotion where they sell Big Chefs.

When I was traveling to Southern California in the early 80s, I discovered a west coast chain called "Seafood Broiler." The seafood was fresh, the menu varied as a function of the catch on any given day. I found I really liked both swordfish and shark. They also had the best coleslaw I ever ate. I dined at a Seafood Broiler every time I went to LA until the late 80s when the entire chain was bought lock, stock, and barrel by competitor "Red Lobster." Most of them reopened within a year as Red Lobster, but I've never been a fan.

There used to be a place called the San Jacinto Inn that was in the shadow of the San Jacinto monument and beside the Battleship Texas. This was a place that you paid to get into and then they brought you food until you couldn't eat anymore. They offered endless boiled shrimp cocktails, Fried shrimp, Raw, and Fried oysters, Fried fish, Stuffed Crabs, and Fried chicken for the kids. The waiters bought their jobs and you never lacked for anything. They also had THE BEST rolls that you have ever tasted and they only served then two at a time because they were always hot and fresh out of the oven.

It wasn't cheap but they made sure that it was always a memorable experience. The waiters were one and all totally devoted to making you happy and to eat too much. They were instantly on a first-name basis with you. It was served in courses and you could move on or come back to any of them whenever you wanted too. The only cost to you once you sat down was alcoholic beverages, mostly ice-cold draft beer, and the tip for the waiter. The inside was like an 18th-century ballroom with 20foot high ceilings, chandeliers and beautiful hardwood floors. The building had a rather colorful past.
Sound awesomely unique TD. This place is gone now?

swordfish and shark.
My tastebuds have found their twins! I’m surprised at how many people who generally like fish actually dislike one or the other of those two. I think they are both some of the best fish there is.

i do have to give one of the surfers that I know a break though. His position on shark is more practical...”I promise not to eat them as long as they promise not to eat me.” But I’m not convinced both parties agree equally :oops:.

There are quite a few...but I’ll start with one and if the thread explodes I consider posting about others.

The Good Earth was a small chain (couple dozen maybe) of restaurants started in the West In mid-1970s. They were famous for the freshness and wholesomeness of their foods among them breads and proprietary teas.

Their meals were quite incredible and all on the healthy side. Breakfast plates with the most simple yet incredible pastries. Probably my one most favorite lunch/dinner was their own take on what I think would be Chicken Divan. Sizeable portion of spinach fettuccine, small portion of grilled, chopped chicken breast, and a dreamy-creamy curried mustard sauce topped with blanched broccoli, raisins, walnuts, and a tiny dusting of thinly shredded cheese. Even their accompanying breads were praiseworthy - fruit or veggie muffins and nut breads.

The chain was sold to General Mills who did the unthinkable and replaced almost every location with an Olive Garden or Red Lobster. I don’t have anything against those two restaurants; however, neither one could measure up to the uniquely tasty and health conscious menus that they displaced.

I understand that even up until a couple years ago, one or two of The Good Earth locations was still open in the Midwest.

Sound awesomely unique TD. This place is gone now?

Unfortunately, times change and places like Long John Silvers are cheaper and more convenient and people don't seem to have the same appreciation for fine things that they used to. That place was expensive and they did everything in their power to make it a memorable and perfect experience.

You never had to look for or call for a waiter. they watched and before a plate or platter was empty they showed up and asked what you would like next...More of the same or move to another course. The rolls were never allowed to become cool they served then two on a saucer covered by a white cloth napkin. If they were not eaten before they cooled they would replace them. THAT didn't happen very often. They were "melt in your mouth" delicious and came to you with real butter melted on them. they were even better than the school rolls!

I guess that rich people still have access to places like this but not regular people. Regular people nowadays people don't get dressed up and do special things anymore. This was the type of thing that you saved up for MONTHS for. We were not all that well off financially. We usually ate out at a sitdown restaurant once a month. My parents felt like it was important that I know how to act in NICE places. We set the table at home for supper EVERY night. One knife unless we were having steak two with a steak knife, three spoons, teaspoon, tablespoon and stirring spoon for the iced tea, two forks, dinner fork, and a salad fork, and a napkin all placed in their place.

I sort of hated all the rules when I was a kid but I have to say that I have never embarrassed myself when out with someone and we went to an expensive nice place. The table manners of most people these days is HORRIBLE! I really don't want to examine your food several times while you chew it.

I often miss some of the old ways and the nice more genteel manners of the past. It was nice sometimes for the women to be ladies and the males to be gentlemen. I still open doors for ladies. I occasionally get a smile and thank you. I also occasionally have been ridiculed and informed by a female that they didn't need or appreciate having e open the door for them. I always tell them that I didn't open the door for them because I thought they were ladies. I opened it because I AM a gentleman and they can choose to walk in or not.

I'm not sure that many people of the younger generations would know how to act in a place like the Old San Jacinto Inn. It wasn't a place for yelling, screaming, and tossing the F-bomb. The ladies always acted like ladies and had their chairs held out to seat them. They were treated like princesses or queens by all of the staff. Maybe it was a place where people could go and pretend that they were someone that they really weren't... but it was so nice. For a little while, you were treated and could experience what it must be like to be so rich that you could buy the place out of pocket if you wanted too.

Old man...old memories of a world long gone...