Think back to...

I am suffering from missing my favorite Mexican restaurants and my favorite Oriental buffet. I love oriental buffets because I like to mix and match. I love sashimi and also love things like egg rolls, Dragon Fingers, stir-fried rice with shrimp and beef, and chicken bits mixed in and Crab Puffs. I love the crab puffs dipped in Mandarin sauce!! if they don't have the sashimi out I just rob the meat off of the sushi. I LOATHE that gummy rice they use on sushi!

Mexican food just loses something when you have to take it home and it cools. It just isn't the same. The only Mexican place that we have in town is a taco sort of place. I'm missing spinach enchiladas with a cream sauce and chunky guacamole on hot chips.

As far as takeout we are doing a lot of Olive Garden. Most of it travels well but I miss their salads. their Noche chicken soup is so good that my wife chased down a copy cat recipe on Pinterest. Her copy is if anything even better because she makes it a little richer and it has more of those little Noche dumplings in it.

I am suffering from missing my favorite Mexican restaurants and my favorite Oriental buffet. I love oriental buffets because I like to mix and match. I love sashimi and also love things like egg rolls, Dragon Fingers, stir-fried rice with shrimp and beef, and chicken bits mixed in and Crab Puffs. I love the crab puffs dipped in Mandarin sauce!! if they don't have the sashimi out I just rob the meat off of the sushi. I LOATHE that gummy rice they use on sushi!

Mexican food just loses something when you have to take it home and it cools. It just isn't the same. The only Mexican place that we have in town is a taco sort of place. I'm missing spinach enchiladas with a cream sauce and chunky guacamole on hot chips.

As far as takeout we are doing a lot of Olive Garden. Most of it travels well but I miss their salads. their Noche chicken soup is so good that my wife chased down a copy cat recipe on Pinterest. Her copy is if anything even better because she makes it a little richer and it has more of those little Noche dumplings in it.
TD - I made two batches of knock off recipe of Olive Gardens’ Zuppa Tuscany soup. That Sausage, potatoes, and kale soup rocks.

Reactions: Lynne
Have it on good authority that the little bar in my neighborhood has the World's best beef sandwiches.
Great ! Gonna try one out tomorrow. Full report on your desks soon. Why have I not been informed immediately upon moving in years ago?
My favorite way is on French bread, wet, & pepprocinis.
Side note: It's a perk to travel around to different city neighborhoods for work - the food. I'm sure alot of these places are long gone, but trust they have been replaced. Gyros, subs, beef, and that time I had a chimichangas the size of a nerf football.
Double side note: Mom's boyfriends favorite pizza place closed two years ago. His son in law is opening a pizza restaurant with the exact same recipe. While this is a business venture built with his pocket change, it is a pretty cool 'gift.'

Reactions: Debi and Lynne
The knock off recipes on Pentrist are GREAT!!! We may need to give that one you mentioned a try. We really like their soups a lot. We already know how to make the other Italian dishes but the soups were new to us. I nearly always get Soup and salad.

We eat a VERY international diet. that is the only thing about living in a small town. You have to travel to find some of the more international restaurants. we drive almost 150 miles round trip to go to a Thai restaurant or Greek. Mexican, Sea Food, Italian, some Oriental and Steaks we have but not the more specialized foods.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
The knock off recipes on Pentrist are GREAT!!! We may need to give that one you mentioned a try. We really like their soups a lot. We already know how to make the other Italian dishes but the soups were new to us. I nearly always get Soup and salad.

We eat a VERY international diet. that is the only thing about living in a small town. You have to travel to find some of the more international restaurants. we drive almost 150 miles round trip to go to a Thai restaurant or Greek. Mexican, Sea Food, Italian, some Oriental and Steaks we have but not the more specialized foods.
Wow that’s a lot of driving to have dinner. I can se why you have done the knock off recipes.

Wow that’s a lot of driving to have dinner. I can se why you have done the knock off recipes.

That is one of the downsides to small-town dining. Once you get past the more generic food types there just aren't enough people to support the more specialized sort of restaurants. Steaks, Hamburgers, BBQ, fish, generic Mexican food, generic Italian food and Pizzas just about covers it. I like the various different types of Eastern foods and the Mexican food here is actually TexMex and I also like the more refined foods that come from around Mexico City and Acapulco. The Greek food is good but you have to adjust to a different set of primary spices. If you like to try different things you are going to have to travel. People in Texas do more driving that people in a lot of other places. I have driven 90 miles each way every day to various jobs for months on end. My wife drove 50 miles each way every day fr nearly 15 years. If that is what has been normal most of your life you just are not much bothered by it.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi