Things people get wrong about the Devil

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
I have relatives that believe everything they read is true. By that I mean if something is published the author must know what he/she is talking about. Reality shows the opposite is true IMO. Great article but the authors opinions dont show any real experience in the area . It seems to me that those who have had a run in with evil are reluctant to talk about it because it is so far from the ordinary and the mundane that no one will believe it. Unless they have lived it or seen it. I get the impression the author of the article hasnt done much more than read a few books and decided write something that will interest people at Halloween . Still its interesting but dont go looking for real evil thinking that its over and it doesnt exist. It does.

I have relatives that believe everything they read is true. By that I mean if something is published the author must know what he/she is talking about. Reality shows the opposite is true IMO. Great article but the authors opinions dont show any real experience in the area . It seems to me that those who have had a run in with evil are reluctant to talk about it because it is so far from the ordinary and the mundane that no one will believe it. Unless they have lived it or seen it. I get the impression the author of the article hasnt done much more than read a few books and decided write something that will interest people at Halloween . Still its interesting but dont go looking for real evil thinking that its over and it doesnt exist. It does.
People tend to believe what they read/hear/see as long as it agrees with their preconceived notions/beliefs on a given topic. I've noticed this is particularly true in the paranormal and conspiracy worlds. We see this here, especially among new, younger members. They either tell us right up front with their initial post(s) they don't want to hear any non-paranormal explanations, or reject such explanations out of hand as soon as they see them. They will often take offense at questions. They've already made up their minds, their experience was paranormal and that's that. They generally don't stay long.

Last edited:
People tend to believe what they read /hear/see as long as it agrees with their preconceived notions/beliefs on a given topic. I've noticed this is particularly true in the paranormal and conspiracy worlds. We see this here frequently, especially among new, younger members. They either tell us right up front with their initial post(s) they don't want to hear any non-paranormal explanations, or reject such explanations out of hand as soon as they see them. They've already made up their minds, their experience was paranormal and that's that! They generally don't stay long.
Agree totally.I like to read their stories and hope they stay. I dont know all the answers but Ive seen enough to know that something exists that enjoys chaos . Maybe its a part of all of us? I just heard Linda Moulton Howes interview wiht Jim Marrs. She made a statement that surprised me because its true and I never thought of it before. Its impossible to live on earth without ending something elses life to survive ! That means eating meat, eating plants, everything we do except absorbing water, sunlight, air and minerals means we are taking something elses life. Im going to put up that interview

Reactions: Debi
It reminds me of a lady proclaiming to be an expert on Hat man,she admits never experience it though :rolleyes: .

I had to look it up to find out what "Hat Man" was about.

The thing that most Christians don't like to hear is the very real fact that the Christian faith is a hybrid religion that was made by combining the beliefs of an offshoot of the Jewish faith and several of the, at that time, existing Pagan faiths.

Satan/Lucifer is based on the half-god Prometheus who brought and gave fire to man against the wishes of the top god. For this, he was punished severely. The pagans saw him as their benefactor but that story when run through a different point of view became an Evil fallen angel in Christianity.

I personally don't believe in a Devil or Hell. The evil in this world is inherent in the nature of mankind. If not taught better people will be self-centered and have almost no empathy. Good people are that way because they were taught to be better than their base nature and work hard to resist their less charitable urges.

People seem to have a need to have someone or someTHING to blame their failings on. The old "The Devil made me do it!" is just an excuse for people doing what they want without concern for others.

There are psychopaths that seem to be evil incarnate and that love to kill and cause pain. They are seen as evil but in some ways, they probably are not. They are just doing as their nature directs just as a crocodile will do. The Croc is not evil it is just an animal that considders people as food as he was made to do. To me, evil requires an understanding of good and the decission to NOT be good. the human preditor is just an animal that happens to be in human shape.

The person that has gained wealth on the backs of poor people that lived a life of poverty and misery while they lived in the lap of luxury are much more likely to be evil, even if they have not personally killed anyone, than a psycotic killer who is simply following their nature.

Evil has more to do with intent, nature and how a person is raised than actual actions. We might see a canibal as pure evil but to them they are most often honoring an abmired enemy or allowing a lost family member to live on in the bodies of those that loved and cared about them. To someone that had not ever encountered Christian ways, the canabalistic rite of comunion would be seen as pretty disturbing.

The early Christians had a HARD time. It is not possible for someone to do anything that is less Kosher than the Christian Comunion. Even most of the pagans looked at it with a less than happy feeling. I have met people that were raised in totaly Islamic places that were told when they were kids that if they weren't good they would be sold to Christians to be eaten on Sunday. To them, as kids, Christians were almost monsters.

We live in a predominantly Chriestian Nation in the US and most of Europe. We tell stories about anyone that isn't Christian that are all as much misunderstanding as their stories about Christians. I generally am more open-minded than most people and have made the effort to at least read enough to understand the point of view that people raised in other faiths have. To tell the truth I have a part of my familly that are Fundamentalist Carismatic Christians and according to them, anyone that doesn't subscribe to THEIR faith and beliefs is evil and worships the devil. They are scary as hell to me.

People tend to believe what they read/hear/see as long as it agrees with their preconceived notions/beliefs on a given topic. I've noticed this is particularly true in the paranormal and conspiracy worlds. We see this here, especially among new, younger members. They either tell us right up front with their initial post(s) they don't want to hear any non-paranormal explanations, or reject such explanations out of hand as soon as they see them. They will often take offense at questions. They've already made up their minds, their experience was paranormal and that's that. They generally don't stay long.
I totally agree with you Duke. We really have no idea what is in the unseen realms. We try to make educated guesses and we throw mud at the wall to see what works, but really that’s all we got. I guess it all boils down to personal beliefs but I do try to keep an open mind.

Reactions: garnetsilver